Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: LC: Post #5,000 - Ask me whatever

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't I beat you when I'm up 57 points going into sunday night football. Sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you were up big time in the middle of the afternoon but when the day was over, we were tied at 87. Then the next day my defense won it for me, remember?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you played sit and go's, how often did you spend studying and what did you use; sngpt/ bubble trainer? I've got addicted to doing heads up ev quizzes but not sure how much thats going to help me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saved my questionable hands into a text file and I went over them at the end of the day. I think I should've spent more time with ranges and playing with SNGPT more, but at the time, I was focusing too much on volume. This was mostly due to guys like ZeeJustin, Newt Buggs, curtains and Fieryjustice doing so well while 16-tabling, and I wanted to emulate their success. Obviously don't do this. I would recommend not playing more than 4 tables until your game is mistake free.

Also, go through the archives and search for posts by the best former SNG theorists. e.g. Gigabet, Daliman, Irieguy, Jason Strasser, etc. A lot of those guys wrote about a lot of non-ICM related stuff that'll make you a more winning player.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM

what would be the difference maker in turning yourself from an average winner into the top ranks?

what skills separate the top players from the so-so players? rank skills needed to be a winning player from most important to least important

when moving up in stakes, at what what jump (ie. 33's to 55's) did you find it the hardest? why did you think it was the hardest?

how you become better at multi-tabling sng's?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't I beat you when I'm up 57 points going into sunday night football. Sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you were up big time in the middle of the afternoon but when the day was over, we were tied at 87. Then the next day my defense won it for me, remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

still depressing
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Congrats Paul, help me with this ... when do you raise a c-bet? Eg what kind of hand do you need against what kind of player, assume v TAG, LAG and Unknown [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Get those secrets out!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Part two: When do you fire a third barrel with air? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what would be the difference maker in turning yourself from an average winner into the top ranks?

[/ QUOTE ]
For me to become a top player, I'd have to plug all my leaks, hand read better, take advantage of good spots more often, and in general be more ruthless and instill fear into my opponents.

[ QUOTE ]

what skills separate the top players from the so-so players? rank skills needed to be a winning player from most important to least important

[/ QUOTE ]
The abilities to hand read well and exploit opponents' leaks/tendencies separate the big winners from the marginal winners. Also, not spewing (cbetting too often, bluffing too often, etc.) makes a big difference in win rate.

[ QUOTE ]
when moving up in stakes, at what what jump (ie. 33's to 55's) did you find it the hardest? why did you think it was the hardest?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't have any problems moving up because I was overbankrolled for every level, but it was tough to handle the variance of $215s. 20-25 buyin downswings at the $215s are pretty painful (and common).

[ QUOTE ]
how you become better at multi-tabling sng's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Practice. SNG decisions are like "flash cards" - in a certain spot, you should know what you're going to do with every hand and be able to make the decision in under a second.

For example, if you're in the CO with a t1500 stack at 100/200, before your hand is dealt you should be thinking, "Okay, if I get 22+,A7+,K8+,Q9+,J9+, I'm going to shove. But if someone raises before me, I can only reraise with 88+,AJ+ and fold everything else" (ranges are not accurate). So once you see your hand, you will be able to make the decision as if it were a flash card.

For a beginning SNG player, I would recommend that he plays 1 or 2 tables to start, with SNGPT open, and play with the ranges in game. After doing this enough, it'll be like second nature.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you played sit and go's, how often did you spend studying and what did you use; sngpt/ bubble trainer? I've got addicted to doing heads up ev quizzes but not sure how much thats going to help me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saved my questionable hands into a text file and I went over them at the end of the day. I think I should've spent more time with ranges and playing with SNGPT more, but at the time, I was focusing too much on volume. This was mostly due to guys like ZeeJustin, Newt Buggs, curtains and Fieryjustice doing so well while 16-tabling, and I wanted to emulate their success. Obviously don't do this. I would recommend not playing more than 4 tables until your game is mistake free.

Also, go through the archives and search for posts by the best former SNG theorists. e.g. Gigabet, Daliman, Irieguy, Jason Strasser, etc. A lot of those guys wrote about a lot of non-ICM related stuff that'll make you a more winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

while playing 16 tables wont make you good, it will make you money
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone going to catch you in the STTF $50 league?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. But I just jinxed myself, so maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're both 7-2...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jobs I've had in the past: real estate agent, transcriber for the movie "Super Size Me,

[/ QUOTE ]

Morgan Spurlock and I go way back. He used to work with me on the Bud Light Pro-Beach Volleyball Tour. I was the P.A. Announcer and he worked for Sony. Eventually he became the half-time entertainment.

Very funny, creative guy. Say hey for me if you run into him again. Good times....

Anyway, congrats on your success with poker. I know how hard you have worked. Nice 5K post.

Slacka