Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Get your n00b out, uNL--Volume 2

Why is access denied to to the uNL AIM list?

<font color="green">someone was scamming using the uNL list for prospects. </font>
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is won$wsf%?

<font color="blue">
W$WSF is won money percent when seeing flop
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a good W$WSF%?? Ive read a decent amount on W$SD% where too high means your probalby nitty and too low means you pay off easy etc. But Ive never seen anywhere that mentions a "medium" for W$WSF?? Is there one or is this just a really player dependent stat?? Mines ~40% and FWIW i typically play 22/19/6.5...

<font color="red">40 is great. Dont think any more about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 PM

What do you think is the most effective way of trying to improve your game? I'm currently reading books (HoH I+II, SS, PNL, TOP), signed up for card runners and watched their vids (Brystmar's SSNL series etc), and reading the forums trying to grunch a few hands, and of course playing.

<font color="red">Theres really no great answer to this question, you just need to learn to think. Its like anything - if you ask me how to get good at math, well, you have to understand the questions, think about the process of getting the answer, then practice practice practice. Poker is the same - you have to learn to understand the problems, learn how to solve them, then do it a million times over.

One thing that will help you is to stop searching for "the answer" or "the thing to do every time in this spot" and learn to analyse every single situation indepenently. FWIW HoH is an awesome book and will help you immensely. I still read it from time to time.</font>

Is there any good framework for analyzing your hands, and perhaps spotting leaks? I feel as though I'm playing decent ABC poker, but I'm feeling that my learning curve has slowed a lot, and although I sometimes read some concepts in books I find it impractical to apply them at say a 25nl level.

<font color="red">Just keep playing good ABC poker, dont worry about anything else. The thing about loosening up is that it suddenly becomes apparent to you. For eg, theres a line you've been taking with 2pr that just NEVER gets you paid, your opponents always fold. Then suddenly you think hey, I can do this with any two cards here - so you raise any two and pretend you have 2pr, and just like before, they fold. Thats how you start to deviate from ABC poker.

As for spotting leaks, post hands on 2p2. Thats the best way. </font>

What the best way to study the hands you've played, and improve from them? I have Poker tracker of course. Looking to put serious effort into improving my game, and I'll do anything practical to do so ($200/hr coach not practical).

<font color="red">Just look at the hands you lost and try and understand why you lost money. Was it a cooler? Did you overplay your hand? Should you have folded somewhere? If you dont know the answer, post on 2p2 and see what everyone else thinks.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I learn to hand read?

<font color="blue">by not asking stupid questions that have no answer like this </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP:

Got a question you think is too noobish to ask?

Afraid your post will get locked because it's stupid?

I didn't mean to ask a "stupid question," but the OP did say it was all right...

<font color="blue">What kind of answer do you expect. That is a bad question in that it has no answer and you know this. Its not like I can go well find the answer to B^2+- sqrt(B^2-4AC)/2A </font>

<font color="red">Hand reading, though mysterious and elusive, can be learnt. Its basically a process of "whittling down" the possible hands your opponent can hold, based on what you know of him, and what is on the board. So lets say you raise a hand and he re-raises you, and you know nothing about him. Well he can actually have any hand here, but to the best of your knowledge, he's got the goods. So you fold. Then next time you raise, he does it again. Ok, so now youre getting suspicious. Then he does it again. You have 72o, and you just call. The flop comes JT4r, and you check. He bets into you for about 3/4 pot, and you shove, and he folds. Now we will never know what he had there, ever. But to the best of our knowledge, he had a hand that couldnt take a full 100bb of pressure on a J high rainbow flop.

Often, hand reading is not about putting a guy on a exact hand, or knowing what he's going to do with it, and you are going to be wrong a LOT. But basically, instead of guessing what he has, think about what he doesnt have. So say you raise, and a very basic dude who you know is super standard just calls on the button. Well you have no idea of knowing what he has, but you know what he doesn't have - AA,KK,QQ,AK - he would have re-raised all of those.

Practice practice practice and good luck.</font>
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I said on Al Schoonmaker's holdemradio show:

Find a friend in your game. Go over hands against an opponent you both know well. On each street, analyze his range. If you and your friend disagree, figure out why.

Then figure out if you could have done something better. One hint: whenever you answer "call," ask if raise or fold would be better. It's really easy to overlook one of those two alternatives.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 AM

How can I track any posts I've made to see if they've had responses?

<font color="red">Theres a little button at the bottom of each post that says "remind me" - it looks like a finger with some string around it. Click that one, and you'll get an email alert when a post is made in one of your threads.</font>

Does the cardrunners hand-converter work to put hands on here?

<font color="red">No, it doesn't. Use this hand converter instead: http://legopoker.com/hh/index.php
Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">by not asking stupid questions that have no answer like this </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP:

Got a question you think is too noobish to ask?

Afraid your post will get locked because it's stupid?

I didn't mean to ask a "stupid question," but the OP did say it was all right...

<font color="blue">What kind of answer do you expect. That is a bad question in that it has no answer and you know this. Its not like I can go well find the answer to B^2+- sqrt(B^2-4AC)/2A </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, fair enough, my bad.

<font color="red">See my response to your previous post.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What the best way to study the hands you've played, and improve from them? I have Poker tracker of course. Looking to put serious effort into improving my game, and I'll do anything practical to do so ($200/hr coach not practical).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple pretty simple ways to get a good insight into your play and how you might improve.

1) Every session, every hand that you play, have a pen and paper in front of you. If you hit a hand where you're unsure of the correct action, or felt that you played badly, just write down your hole cards. After the session, fire up PT and find the hand (using your hole cards) and take a look again. If you can't make a decision, ask a friend or post it on the forums.

2) After every session, go into the Game Notes tab on poker tracker, click 'Get All' and then sort the hands by money won/lost. Spend 15 minutes going over every substantial pot. If you feel you played it OK, ask yourself 'what would happen if I raised here instead of called?' 'What range is he raising on the flop' 'What does my equity need to be to call his shove here,' questions like that. Basically, a lot of our wins and losses come from big pots. Go over them with a fine tooth comb, in more detail than you can get into with the 20 seconds you get at the table.

These two methods will help you fix the leaks that you're kind of aware of, and will also help you find new lines in situations that you always played one way and were happy with.

PT is a great tool, but if you don't use it then it won't make you better.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just reading this post by pokey http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5348855 and I wanted to know what he means when he says "shania". I see it here and there in other posts and I have no idea what he is talking about.

<font color="green"> "shania" is supposed to reward good, proper play with good results. It's just something some 2p2'er made up long time ago that's become part of 2p2 culture.

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add a little more 2+2 history to the shania question, there was a famous thread that's posted in the SNL sticky that introduces the concept of shania:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import

Shania is basically the same thing as "metagame" but sounds cooler and more "eastern philosophy-ish" when you give it a cool name. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

<font color="green"> Ya, my definition of shania sucks and is sorta inaccurate. check out the link. </font>
Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 AM

what does the u in unl mean

<font color="green"> µ &lt;----it's really one of those. Stands for micro. Linky </font>
Closed Thread