Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: lil wayne

well if you dont have best of both worlds (im not a huge fan of either, 1 is better than 2 (which is called unfinished business) but both have their moments) get those. the unplugged is great but i assume u have that. the [censored] with linkin park i thought was pretty cool Collision Course or whatever

here's some tracks featuring him or tracks of his that were singles or mixtape [censored], some/most of which you probably have heard and im probably not sticking to the time period but im just gonna list a bunch.

early this morning
be like hov
ignorant sh*t
people talking
go crazy remix (young jeezy track)
4 da fam (amil track)
beware of the boys
stop
jigga (whats my name)
never take me alive (young gunz track)
what we do (freeway track)
lookin at my s dots
hell yeah remix (dead prez track)
welcome to new york city (cam'ron track)
people's court
addicted 2 the game
its alright
hey papi
don't you know
reach the top
against the ropes
drama
love is love
wishing on a star
fiesta remix (r kelly)
guess who's back (scarface track)
20 bag shorty
streets call me right back
rocafella billionares (freeway track)
hova
anything
what's in a name
public service announcement 2
Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 PM

I d/led that drought mixtape link, and I have to admit that there were some moments on the mixtape that I thought were really tight. I don't buy into any of the peeps who put him anywhere in the vicinity of a top 5.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 PM

omg rofl Weezie got arrested a few hours from here in Boise just today

TOO FAST FOR THE FEDS TOO COCKY FOR THE COPS
Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W-22ic_YGx4

This is embarassing - Wayne tries to copy Ether and it sucks real bad.

Now this is a real diss...Wu Tang's Who the [censored] is 50 cent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=emA1RK4UDi8
Old 10-07-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely wasn't, I pretty much only have his LPs and random tracks from the time period, give me the names of any good stuff you remember if you're feeling generous

[/ QUOTE ]

His first major release Reasonable Doubt is an all time classic and I would put it in my top 3 hip hop albums of all time. Jay Z even admitted it was his favorite of his own works.

I wouldn't put Wayne in my top 3 rappers. Not with people like Jay, Biggie, Nas, Tupac, Wu Tang, etc. out there who were/are just plain better. I get the feeling that the people who put Wayne at the top of lists are in the 18-21 yo range and were pretty young during 1995-2000 years.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

"It seems to me that he writes, after getting a beat, basically by just listing words that rhyme, and filling in the rest later after getting the flow right. "

who cares? as long as its a legit song?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Wu Tang eh? hahaha Please know what you are talkin about before you post.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wu Tang eh? hahaha Please know what you are talkin about before you post.

[/ QUOTE ]

loooooool QFT
Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When dissected in text format his stuff is inane compared to the very meditated rhymes of some of the other heavyweights, which may very well be a detracting fact about his merit, but it's not where his appeal lies really.

The guy absorbs almost every beat in rotation and hits the studio every day and plays with sounds and flows of everything out there and experiments with it, because he seems to love it, and he puts out tons of interesting stuff. It's pretty refreshing as far as the industry goes. I think a lot of the organic feeling of his mixtapes, the half freestyle sounding tracks that remind me of the passion a lot of the industry used to have, is where his appeal for many lies.

I should note that I smoke way way too much weed, and that I feel as though Weezy is super stoner music, it seems to be the case of most hard fans of his I know, dont know bout 2p2.

I often wonder about the possible results of if a guy like Jay Z made his work game more like Waynes, I dont know if it would be the sickest thing ever or he wouldnt have it or it wouldnt even be possible because some guys just compose their stuff in a different way and then just drop it in short bursts of sickness. Sorry for rambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a solid post and explains the appeal of lil' wayne quite well,although you're way off on the jay-z front,he was the king of playing around with different sounds and flows and always showing up on different tracks and bringing something new to them.

even recently when a lot of his stuff has been lazy he still reappears now and then with a deadly verse or even a hot line which reminds you that even his throwaway stuff puts most rappers to shame (his second verse on deja vu by beyonce is a case in point,its just a throwaway verse on an r'n'b track but its still a masterclass of flow and each line contains several different meanings,references and plays on words,and even on the remix of hustlin' by rick ross,a phoned in verse if there was one,he comes out with "we don't resort to violence,we on resorts and islands" )

getting back to lil' wayne,i think the appeal is the sense that he's just enjoying playing around with different sounds,meanings and flows,and the guy is literally putting out hundreds of verses and his quality control may not be worth a [censored] but there's an enthusiasm and a playfullness that's refreshing and guarantees his stuff will usually be a laugh even if he's not going to be troubling the reputations of the true greats anytime soon.

having said that my friend just stuck on da drought 3 which he downloaded after reading this thread and listen to weezy rap over dead presidents is a reminder of his limitations to say the least,but all rap doesn't have to be as intricate as that to be interesting and worth listening to.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM

while we're talking about rap,has anyone been listening to crooked i's "hip hop weekly" series?

there's links to them all here
http://www.hiphopdom.com/crooked-i-hip-hop-weekly/
(he's putting them out for free),haven't heard them all yet but there's some good stuff in there.

here's a youtube link which gives you an idea of what he's capable of,its a freestyle on the wake up show

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4EeYQZYiZFM