Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Do Brits/Europeans care about American football?

Obviously I realize it has nowhere near the popularity of soccer, but I'm curious as to exactly how big a deal the NFL is in Europe. There's a fair number of people over here who follow the European soccer leagues; is it kind of reciprocal with football? You always hear that the Super Bowl was watched by 1 billion people or whatever; does everyone in the world watch it kind of like a lot of Americans don't care at all about soccer but watch the World Cup? Sorry this is kind of rambling, but I'm curious as to what some people from the other side of the pond have to say.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Do Brits/Europeans care about American football?

If I'm not mistaken, football is popular enough in Europe to have it's own league. NFL Europe.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 PM

I'm aware of NFL Europe, I'm curious about whether there are a lot of Europeans who actually follow the American league/root for teams/etc.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM

It isnt reciprocal at all in the UK and AFAIK in Europe as a whole. Superbowl gets some mild media coverage, but < 2% could tell you the current Superbowl champions.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM

that 1 billion dollar viewers stat is very creative and misleading...it's basically "# of people who could be watching if they chose to"

most Euros don't care at all about American football. I was in a big hotel in London for the Super Bowl this year, and there was exactly 1 person at the bar watching the game: me. (granted, it was late)

they do show a couple games per week on TV with British announcers, but it's at a very low level.

don't even ask about France, Spain, Italy, etc
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM

I know that during Sky Sports review show on Sunday, they do show NFL scores and highlights. So there must be a demand for it. I also find it humorous that an England sports show shows NFL highlights, but there isn't an American sports show that shows EPL highlights. IMO, FSC does not count because its not even on the same level as Sky Sports.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken, football is popular enough in Europe to have it's own league. NFL Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL Europe is a pretty misleading name. Many teams have folded, and you're basically left with German teams.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do Brits/Europeans care about American football?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do Brits/Europeans care about American football?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 AM

Its popularity peaked in the UK ages ago, was pretty popular when people like the fridge etc were around.

I have stayed up till stupid times in the past watching the superbowl, and we used to have a really good extended highlights show on normal tv.

Sky now show 4 games on a Sunday, generally with US commentary, but I find it really hard to watch there are just too many adbreaks, and we dont get all of them as they go back to the studio for a lot of them. But if I see the Coors sponsorship advert thing many more times I will go mad.

The games I have tied to watch have sucked as well, turned on on Sunday was the third quarter and one team was 30 points up so waste of time watching, some of the other games have seemed low scoring and boring, there dont seem to be as many personalities around these days.

But I dont think many people care about it that much, probably helpos if you have a fave team but I dont so maybe I miss out on part of it.