Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: please convince me to quit poker forever or something

saucyspade19: you really need to post some stats for quality advice. When you say "they dont respect your bets" do you mean on every street, pre-flop, or on the flop as well? I'm not sure, but back when I started I felt like I had the same problem. One thing I was doing wrong was "fancy play" syndrome. I would watch CR vids of someone playing 5/10 and impliment those reads into 10nl and 25nl. Well let me tell you, at those levels people are such fish, you really can't be applying even semi-complicated concepts. You basically have to play your hand and don't bluff. Make calls when you have the pot odds, fold when you don't, and you will make 5+ bb/100 no problem. Study equity and really try and get a feel for what you hands are worth in every situation.

Nortino: no idea if those are your full stats, but that sample size is REALLY small. Thats not even a day of playing for some people. If you are winning at 6bb/100 with stats of 30/11/1.7, you probably won't be for very long. Tighten up that VPIP, get the PFR higher, and get that aggression factor up to around ~4.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea I know how to [censored] adjust, I learned poker playing HU. Apply standard poker theory to nl10 and see what happens. gl.

[/ QUOTE ]

stars btw

[/ QUOTE ]

a.) move up
b.) ~9ptbb rake jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

being fair to OP, if 9 PTBB/100 is the 5% Stars rake, I wonder what FT's 10% rake looks like

also being fair to OP, he probably still sucks at poker
Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are winning at 6bb/100 with stats of 30/11/1.7, you probably won't be for very long. Tighten up that VPIP, get the PFR higher, and get that aggression factor up to around ~4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't I more like 23/12/1.7? The thing is, it must be hard to get a big sample size for someone who's beating 25nl cos they just move up. Anyway, thanks for the advice . . .
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM

I was a big winner at the medium stakes at party poker, but when that died I quit for a while. I was sent 100 bucks on full tilt and started playing the 25 dollar buy in games, which where the smallest games I could find for the game I play, PLO8. I had not played that small in forever and honestly thought I could not play seriously and thought I would lose. Well the games were so freaken easy I crushed them. I ran those 100 into about 7k and I am now playing some of the old games I used to play on party, but on full tilt. The moral of the story is this: IF YOU CAN BEAT THE BIG GAMES, YOU CAN DESTROY THE SMALL GAMES.

There is nothing more to it than that. You probably wont beat the big games long term because all of the holes in your game that made it impossible to beat 10nl will be exploited in the bigger games by better opponents.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with being a micro baller... we all have to start somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]qft, though micro baller is an oxymoron.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay. I play while eating jumbo shrimp and reading government intelligence.

[ QUOTE ]

Your advice given to OP is pretty good as well, Warteen.

[ QUOTE ]
never played over 50 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]Why not? Do you plan to?

I read in one of the well posts or stickies not to withdraw before you get to NL200+ and I think that's very good advice.

Had you not withdrawn at the nanos/micros, you might be making say, $100/hr already.

[/ QUOTE ]

WPX is a more difficult site than others, in my experience. Moving up to 50 from 25, you find an amazingly different game that I'm still going to need to improve in order to beat. I've tried to move up there several times, but every time been knocked down many pegs. I'd like to think that I'd be making the big bucks by now had I not withdrawn, but if I'm honest with myself I know that the problem was that my game wasn't ready yet. Hopefully I'm getting there. I'm in an upswing right now, and hoping to be taking another crack at the "big leagues" before long. My withdrawals came in the midst of huge downswings, which is a little unorthodox, but helped me calm down and start over - even if it may have hindered my upward progress a bit.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

being fair to OP, if 9 PTBB/100 is the 5% Stars rake, I wonder what FT's 10% rake looks like

[/ QUOTE ]

18ptbb?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
government intelligence

[/ QUOTE ]Another oxymoron?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM

OP - You aren't going to find good advice in BBV. Stick to the micro forum and talk about actual hands.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Just wondering, what is your FullTilt name?
As a fellow Micro player, i was gonna look over your hands in my Poker Tracker if i have any.