Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe dealers at the WSOP get that great a deal. I think my math must be wrong. Management skims off 30% of their 1.8%, and doesn't treat them very well. And remember, this is a tough, part-time gig that dealers used to travel in for (do they still?). And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

But I agree it's pretty scummy if these guys were getting $60 an hour and management tried hustle even more tips out of cashing players without telling them this.

I wish someone who actually played the events and knows the real story would chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if the dealer pay structure is much different for the WPT than the WSOP, but a guy that's dealt WPT told me they make some nice coin. Somewhat better than dealing cash games for the same time period.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM

I think dealers should get a reasonable tip. 2% seems pretty fair.

One thing I can't stand (particularly at places staffed by teenagers/college kids) is these fast food places where the kid takes your order and gives your food to you on a tray, yet they have a tip jar. It's like $9 for a sandwich isn't enough, you expect another dollar or two to help pay your staff. Considering the margins at Starbucks, this tip jar thingy is unseemly. /rant
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 AM

Good. Dealers who think they should be wealthy are idiots. Try going to college and getting a real job. You shouldnt be making $50/hour dealing poker.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year it seems like there's drama about what someone tipped or didn't tip.

Ferguson simply pointed out that he already had $150,000 taken out of his prize for the dealers. That seems like important information. When they ask you if you want to leave a tip, I don't think they say, "You've already tipped $150,000, would you like to leave anything more than that?"

If someone told me that the guy won $8 million and left a $150,000 tip for the dealers, I would think that sounded like a nice tip. I'm certainly not going to think less of the guy because the tip was automatically deducted.

If I go to a restaurant and they automatically add an 18% tip onto the check, and that's all we leave, I think it would be pretty lame to claim we "stiffed" the waitress. Yet that's the title of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good post, and I agree
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Hello all. Im stopping by here first to clear a few things up then i will be posting on pokerati. I am the dealer that put out the last hand. I was in the payout room with Jerry as a representative for the dealers. I do not know if chris was invited or not but that is beside the point. First I want to say that Jerry is a wonderfull, big hearted man that played a great tourney for somebody that has only been playing for 2 years. HE DID NOT STIFF US! He was misled and didnt know any better. A stiff is someone who knows all the facts and refuses to toke and wont even say thank you. Next, we do not get paid by the hour this year, we get paid by downs (each table we deal), we do get an hourly $6.41 from harrahs. As for the main this year, 1.8% was withheld for the staff, which i might add is the smallest we have been given in years. It is split 30% to the Floor staff and its supposed to be 70% for the dealers but i have heard that a chunk of that is going to the chip runners and cashiers....dont quote me on that cuz i dont know for a fact. Now We started the main this year with over 700 dealers and that was too many in my opinion because they were getting very little downs per day and having forced days off. We are NOT garunteed $25 a down, Dan misunderstood me when I was explaining to him what we have been averageing this year. Now I am not good at math without chips and cards infront of me but everything that goes into the toke pool must be shared between all dealers for that 11 days and going by CF's number that he stated in the payout room to Jerry means that we should only recieve $214 for 11 days of work? Hmmm that doesnt sound to good to me.
As for what happened last night, Jerry trusted CF to give him very sound advice because he has never won anything like this before. The issue I have is when the payout clerk asked Jerry if he would like to leave anything ADDITIONAL (yes that is how it was stated) for the dealers, Jerry looked to chris and asked What he should do. CF Told him that the dealers already get 2%, he was then corrected by someone in the room with us that its 1.8%, so CF goes on to say that "It works out to be around 170K that you have already tipped them so no, I would not leave anything more." It Was very wrong of CF to state it in that manner because he was flat out misleading. I stood there smiling, waited for Jerry to finish signing his paperwork then hugged and congratulated him once more, very sincerly. Of course i was pissed, not that Jerry declined to tip but that CF was giving him great advice on everything else but was completely wrong when it came to the dealers. I couldn't say anything because that would be considered soliciting. I just wish that he would have been properly informed and if then he declined, I am perfectly fine with that. Yes we make good money for what we do and unfortunately there are some greedy ones in the bunch. Alot of you out there calling me greedy need to understand that because i choose to work the circuit for harrahs and travel with them, I have to pay all my own expenses, my own health care and we only work about 2 weeks every month. We depend on the WSOP to make up for the rest of the year to keep us all fed till January. This 45 days of hard work is atleast 2/3 of most of our incomes. Now I believe that harrahs with the huge vig every event should be the ones responsible for giving us a bigger chunk and I think that tipping is a very personal thing that should be left to every individual to decide on and not bitter players who wish to bash us "greedy sons of...". I for one dont expect anything that i have not earned but I always appreciate a thank you for a job well done and that doesnt have to be in the form of cash and last night it was in the form of a huge hug. I love my job even with the ups and downs and honestly, This years WSOP was a great time for me. So hopefully this rambling clears up a few things and starts alot more discussions on how things can be done even better next year for all involved.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more players than just the winner should be tipping and adding to this total right?

[/ QUOTE ]

All players paid 1.8% out of their entry fee to pay the dealers with. Not sure how many who made the money tipped on top of that. But I'll bet that the TD and other staff pressured every single one of them So yes, the real number should be closer to $1M I'd guess (depending on how much mgmt raked for their own pockets).

[/ QUOTE ]
The winners are NEVER pressured to tip. It is a printed "Gratuity" line on the form and they are asked if they would like to leave anything ADDITIONAL. And yet again the dealers only get 70% of that 1.8. Also I may not be BFF with JE but the Floor staff makes enough without having to take from us and they dont "line" their pockets with players money
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 AM

I don't see how CF misled him.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Dealers who think they should be wealthy are idiots. Try going to college and getting a real job.

-----------------------------------------------
Great another thread about tipping dealers.
I am a Craps and BJ dealer and this quote is another reason why i will never deal poker. Statements from Jerkoffs like these are why. If you dont beleive in tipping then dont do it, but dont try to influence others on what to do. Its kinda the same as if you are in a hand with someone and he/she is getting advice from others on whether to call or fold. I bet you wouldnt appreciate that.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good. Dealers who think they should be wealthy are idiots. Try going to college and getting a real job. You shouldnt be making $50/hour dealing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't I? I may not be the best dealer out there but I have a kick ass job that i love and why shouldn't i get paid well for a job that takes alot of skill and knowledge to be done right? Hell just having to put up with players with piss poor attitudes that blame their crappy play or poor luck on me and the cards i deal.....i should make alot more
Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 AM

still all dealers at all times.
Closed Thread