Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: the process of de-evolution has begun

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen Christians as far more arrogant than atheists, but some of my normally laid-back atheist friends have become arrogant on encountering a Christian. This leads me to believe it's more a matter of perception than anything. People who agree with us will tend to act less arrogant toward us than people who disagree with us. I think we also tend to perceive those who disagree with us as arrogant in general. This is especially true when we believe our opinions are the "best" ones (most logical, for instance). Because we view our "opponents" as having a flawed perspective, mere confidence can seem like arrogance.

That said, Lebowski is a total troll (he even admitted it), and nobody should let him rile them up. He's like the siegfriedandroy of atheists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. My problem is the large number of posters here who are completely willing to question the IQ of a theist.

Regardless of religious beliefs or lack thereof, you have a right to disagree with me, and I with you. I've seen several posters asking questions regarding poker players who happens to be a theists, concerning understanding of logic, random events, etc.

These posters give me a strong desire to wear a large silver cross during B&M play. I've actually often wondered if this conception was so ingrained into Sklansky's mind that I would gain an advantage by wearing one if I ever had the opportunity to play him face to face.

I'm not defending or mocking anyone's religion, however, I will say anytime you use one lone character trait of a person to assume lower intelligence/understanding, you should look at your own failings as a human being, and that is being said for both the atheists and the theists benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as that isnt the ONLY characteristic you have access to. Which it very often isnt, but sometimes it is. In that case it would be stupid to withhold your assumptions, but it would be smart to realize their limitations.