Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: UB lying/dishonesty for the youngsters

shaniac,

Thanks for adding content to this thread.

Has your impression of unlimited hold thems changed over the years?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 AM

I remember like 2 years ago UB had a 1 million guaranteed tourney and it was a big deal for them and Annie Duke did a webcast for it, but her boyfriend won it, using an account registered to her apparently, it seemed shady to me. Not that there was cheating probably, but it's like Lee Jones' wife winning the sunday mill, can't even imagine that happening on Stars.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 AM

Thanks wut. I forgot about that one. Here is a great post about Annie being the annoucer and possibly giving instructions for her boyfriend over the webcast. Best part:

"Many people thought Annie was coaching through the webcast. While she gave general commentary of all the players, a few people pointed out that she gave somewhat in-depth instructions of the general strategy for playing a big stack when it was about 5 or 6 handed and hhumbert was the big stack. She went into detail saying "humbert should be sitting back, not taking any unnecessary risks and making sure he has a lot of chips when it gets 3 handed", etc. She gave commentary on all the game, but at no point anything that specific, nor did she discuss how small stacks or medium stacks should be playing at that point.

On one very big hand, a flop came ace high, one player bet out big, the second one went all-in and hhumbert went into the tank, thinking for a long time. Annie gave some of the most specific info she had given all game saying "If I was humbert, I would want at least AK to call here", at which point he came out of the tank and called the bet. (While the result of the hand is irrelevant, the all-in guy had bottom 2 pair, and when hhumbert caught an ace on the river to eliminate him, Annie said "serves him right!". I swear none of this is made up)."

Here is the whole post:
http://www.thepokerforum.com/forum/ubbth...ite_id/1#import
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM

so...they didnt pay phil, or it was rigged for phil to win?

its not really clear that they did anything wrong from your post, i dont get it, its rigged cuz daniel didnt want to play it?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 AM

UB was never going to pay a pro anything. That is why Daniel didn't go. A free trip to participate in a publicity stunt wasn't enough to entice Daniel N.

When UB started to get bad publicity, UB paid Phil Gordon and Russ Hamilton was able to say Phil was paid -- end of story.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 AM

This brings me back...not to these times, but rather to the days when I worked a desk job and read through old RPG posts for entertainment. I've forgotten just how awesome GROAN was. Anyone ever figure out who he was?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This brings me back...not to these times, but rather to the days when I worked a desk job and read through old RPG posts for entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM

So.. I'm still happy and playing my 5c/10c NL at UB. No problems cashing in or out.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 PM

...reallllly interesting...FIVE years ago!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM

From NWP.com

TheXFactor
Today, 01:28 PM Post #33
Group: Members

"Absolute Poker was recently aquired by 1994 WSOP Main Event Champion Russ Hamilton who owns Blast Off Limited (Malta) which also owns UltimateBet.

Russ Hamilton also owns the Ultimate Blackjack Tour and clubUBT.com (the only legal Poker and Blackjack site, actually just a freeroll site that charges $20 a month membership fee).

Phil Hellmuth once said that Russ Hamilton could be worth a billion dollars, that's probably [censored] but he might be worth over $100 million."

I think the ownership of AP/UB is relevant. Russ's actions/non-actions show UB/AP's shady past.

I have had accounts with Paradise, Party,FTP,PokerStars, Sportsbetting.com, Bodog, and WSEX. I have avoided UB because of Russ Hamilton's involvement.