Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

Kingdom is solid action flick.
Michael Clayton is more of slow paced...kind of 70s film.

MC is def the better flick but may not be what your group is in the mood for
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Saw Eastern Promises..it was fantastic
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Michael Clayton was cool. It was pretty funny how he has this reputation as being a super efficient guy who fixes anything, yet he never seems to actually do anything.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Clayton was cool. It was pretty funny how he has this reputation as being a super efficient guy who fixes anything, yet he never seems to actually do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be cool if they would make a TV show, on HBO ideally, about his previous exploits.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that in a nutshell is why he was slowly losing it in the film until he finally got some clarity towards the end.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM

I saw Lars and the Real Girl starring Ryan Gosling last night. I went in thinking I would dislike it but I ended up really enjoying it. Its really quirky and funnier than I was expecting. I would give it 3/4 stars. Its not a movie thats a must see but Gosling is a great actor, its a well made film and if you are looking for something out of the ordinary its worth a shot.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM

saw the kingdom. it reminded me of babel. not bad, kind of boring.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that in a nutshell is why he was slowly losing it in the film until he finally got some clarity towards the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point CDS. Just saw it, really enjoyed it. 8.5/10 for me. I really don't think Clooney is a "great" actor but he is very good at giving an understated, slightly modulated performance, perfect for this role. Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton were both stellar, imo.

I enjoyed how they took a relatively simple story and just executed the [censored] out of it. Excellent pacing, good storytelling wrt the way we were introduced to characters and plot elements, strong but subtle character development... it felt *real* for lack of a better word.

Curious as to what others think - I think I was drawn in to the story because the backdrop (corporate America) is something I'm all too familiar with, and I feel like they nailed it (especially Swinton's character, the not ready 2nd who gets pushed into a leadership role and flails).

-Al
Old 10-13-2007, 05:51 AM

I saw it on Wednesday. At the time I was satisfied and thought it was a good little film, yet 3 days later I am somehow still thinking about it. There was just nothing wrong with it really, no bad scenes. Loved it.

It was also the first film I've seen in digital; the picture was outstanding.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Jumper -A genetic anomaly allows a young man to teleport himself anywhere. He discovers this gift has existed for centuries and finds himself in a war that has been raging for thousands of years between "Jumpers" and those who have sworn to kill them.

Charlie Wilson's War -Based on George Crile's book about the CIA's largest and most successful covert CIA operation, the arming of the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. The covert ops were engineered by Charlie Wilson (Hanks), a charismatic, wheeler-dealer, liberal Texas congressman who teamed with a rogue CIA operative (Hoffman). The two manipulated Congress, the CIA and a host of foreign governments in order to assist the Afghan rebels in their fight against the Soviets in the 1980s. Many of the men armed by the CIA went on to become the Taliban's enforcers and Osama bin Laden's protectors.