Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 01:18 AM

Default What would you do here?

First, I'd like to say that I've tried every hand converter listed and none of them work with the hand histories from Bugsy's (Planet Ace Gibraltar Limited) so I'll have to hand type this as legibly as I can.

Micro stakes, .02-.05 NL, table is unusually tight and premium hands are often coming in for a raise of 0.25

Dealt to Hero in the BB, J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP, MP1 and MP2 all Fold.
CO calls for .05
Button Folds
SB calls .03
Hero checks the BB

POT: 0.15

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB Bets .15
Hero calls
CO calls

POT: 0.6

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB Bets .60
Hero raises .60 to make it 1.20 to go
CO calls 0.58 All In
SB Re-raises 3.58

You have were open ended on the flop and now have top pair plus the draw. He's raised for all your chips.

What would you do and WHY?

The ending in white:
********** <font color="white">
Hero calls All In

River comes 5C

CO shows AK and had flat called the BB PF...

SB shows QQ and takes the pot with Q's over 5's... and had flat called the BB PF...

DOH!

Donk for calling or dumb luck but calling was correct? And WHY?</font>
Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: What would you do here?

Curious why you mini-raised SB on the turn?

It seems to me that is a bad play. It neither protects your TP + OESD from the two flush draws, nor does it really fold out any better hands.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious why you mini-raised SB on the turn?

It seems to me that is a bad play. It neither protects your TP + OESD from the two flush draws, nor does it really fold out any better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, thanks. Here was my reasoning:

Part 1:

Until only a few hands before this, we had played out about an hour where just about any raise over 0.25 would result in a fold around... and even UTG raising 0.25 PF would often result in it being folded around. For micro NL, the table was pretty tight. My thought was that firing back and making it 1.20 to go to the CO would have made it impossible for him to call according to the way the table had been and it was enough to make the SB think hard... but not hard enough since he had the overpair.

Part 2:

The only other alternative was an open shove on my part since any raise for 1.20 or more would have left me pot committed, and he'd know it. I thought that an open shove would look despirate and only entice the call, which I would rather have done without (I was hoping to end it there since, for this table, the pot had grown to a good size and I'd had bad luck with being out drawn this week).

Vorlin
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 AM

Raise flop to .5$. Either call the turn (and get the CO's dead money in the pot without reopening the betting) or raise enough to commit yourself to the hand, 2.25 or so (I don't know what the exact stack sizes are).
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 AM

I fold when it's back to me from the SB's AI. All you have is top pair, marginal kicker. You do have the straight draw but now it's very weak. If you hit it, you won't have the best straight regardless and any Spade or Diamond is bad for you now, thus reducing your outs even further (if your straight might be good).

At best you're drawing to a chop and at worst (usually i think) you're a dog to a made hand (2 pr, straight, set) and still have to dodge the flush draws if you aren't.

You min raised to find out where you were rather than build a pot (I hope), now you know, so get out.

Remember, it's a limped pot, why go broke here unless you've got a very strong hand..which you don't.

(Also, I don't think you needed to min raise anyway with just TP on the turn. You can easily just call and close the action with the short stack behind you, see the river and then see what the SB does. After the board paired I'm willing to bet he was checking or making a small value bet to block you on the river, so there's another reason for waiting till the river to make a play.)

D_D
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Also, put useful information in the title and other posters will be more likely to read and comment.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise flop to .5$. Either call the turn (and get the CO's dead money in the pot without reopening the betting) or raise enough to commit yourself to the hand, 2.25 or so (I don't know what the exact stack sizes are).

[/ QUOTE ]

SB had already bet out the flop for 0.15.... did you mean re-raise him on the flop with the draw and, if so, by how much? It's an interesting thought and possible, but tough to balance between the IO of hitting and overextending myself since on the flop I only had a draw.

Before the hand the stacks were:
SB 6.36
Hero 3.67
CO 0.78
Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 AM

D_D :

Nice, that's the kind of thinking I was looking for, thanks. You see so many taking 2nd pair too far and pushing like this with AK bare that you begin to think that top pr with a straight draw is better than it is.

I'll mull your way of looking at it over for a bit and try to look at things that way more when making my decisions. I'm afraid that getting pretty good at 1500 person freerolls has it's bad side too... you start to look at half the table as if they're clueless when, even in micro, they aren't totally clueless.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Remember, just because it's micro's, doesn't mean that everyone there plays bad (that doesn't mean they play particularly well either).

In this guys case, he obviously knew enuff that his hand was probably good and to not let up on it. The bet/reraise-allin is rarely a fancy move in the micro's, especially in a multiway pot..it just screams strength, so you'd better have a hand to go to war with (as it goes).

D_D
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
table is unusually tight and premium hands are often coming in for a raise of 0.25

[/ QUOTE ]Uncheck "post blinds"; find a better table. If there are none, switch sites.