Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Does anyone ever feel satisfied with 2nd place?

Seems like every time I finish 2nd in a tournament I feel worse than I would if I were first out.

Just lost after 6 hours of grinding to some 1000 year old gigantic luckbox who refused to chop at any point because he thinks he's god's gift to poker. He literally sucked out for his tournament life a dozen times at the final table alone including twice against me all-in preflop. I was enraged the whole way home when I probably should've been happy with myself.

Have any of you donkament pros gotten past the feeling of despair finishing deep but not 1st?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Does anyone ever feel satisfied with 2nd place?

It sucks getting 2nd since 1st gets paid a lot more, but I am happy with it usually because its a lot better than not cashing at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 AM

Pretty sure donkament players lose their will to live a long time before they get to the final table.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 AM

2nd place? more like FIRST LOSER
Old 11-06-2007, 04:14 AM

Of course I'm pissed finishing 2nd, but I've been able not to be enraged if I finish top3 since usually those positions give good enough hourly rate.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 AM

I think this time it's more about the guy who beat me. It was his third week in a row winning this PLO tournament and the whole time I had to hear about how good he was from himself, the dealers, etc... Not to mention he took me out at the final table the week before calling a massive pot reraise with just an open ended straight draw to crack my top set. Yeah... you're real good old man.

I wanted to beat him soooooooo bad but his luckbox is seemingly unstoppable. I swear every time he was allin on the flop all he had was a flush draw or straight draw and he hit it every freaking time somehow. Finally the blinds are so big we get it in with my AKTT vs his AQ98, I flop a flush draw and he turns an offsuit queen for the win. A 2 outter!!!

*explodes*
Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 AM

I've still never won a big donkament (I don't play many), but I have two big second place finishes. It's borderline disgusting how much more I'd have if I had won both of them, but I would say I'm still more than satisfied...at the end of the day, all I really care about is the profit.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this time it's more about the guy who beat me. It was his third week in a row winning this PLO tournament and the whole time I had to hear about how good he was from himself, the dealers, etc... Not to mention he took me out at the final table the week before calling a massive pot reraise with just an open ended straight draw to crack my top set. Yeah... you're real good old man.

I wanted to beat him soooooooo bad but his luckbox is seemingly unstoppable. I swear every time he was allin on the flop all he had was a flush draw or straight draw and he hit it every freaking time somehow. Finally the blinds are so big we get it in with my AKTT vs his AQ98, I flop a flush draw and he turns an offsuit queen for the win. A 2 outter!!!

*explodes*

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely different story. Sure I'm enraged and life-tilted for a while if I lose significant amount of money to a guy who I consider to be a huge fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 AM

I still get mad even if I respect my opponent though.

I guess the only times I'm satisfied with 2nd or 3rd is when I really didn't deserve to get there and never had much of a shot at going further.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 AM

nah I'm more pissed getting 10th than 2nd, but I do hate
suckboxes tho