Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Default I think i might be being cheated

Hi guys,
trying to keep it short, i play a 18/15 game at ssnl and have been a consistent winner for the last year, living off of my earnings. i've also tightened up a lot (from 27/22) to try and reduce variance as i find that when you need to make rent, the swings can get tough. the last six weeks however i've been on a sick run of cards and done a lot of my roll off, having to move down two stakes. now i know some of this is just a cold run some tilt, however i feel i am playing exceptionally well for most of the time. i feel i really should be crushing the game atm but im loosing. i also found a trojan on my computer about a month ago that my antivirus software got rid of.
is there anyway i could be being cheated, is there any way to find out how (scans etc), how do i see what outgoing data is coming from my connection and has anyone had anything/heard of anything like this before?

i could be just be running bad, have leaks that i dont know about or any of the resons as to why people go on cold streaks, but i just wanted to be sure that this option isn't one of them.

thanks for your help, any responses much appreciated
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: I think i might be being cheated

You're just running bad.

What was the trojan? What did you do to remove it? How many hands are we talking about? (I already know your sample size isn't big enough, because I can think of a number bigger than yours. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 PM

i think you're just bad at poker and looking for someone to blame. haha kidding!

[ QUOTE ]
how do i see what outgoing data is coming from my connection

[/ QUOTE ]
your best option is to put a machine between your poker computer and the internet and monitor packets there.

you can also try http://www.ethereal.com/

[ QUOTE ]
and has anyone had anything/heard of anything like this before?

[/ QUOTE ]
its very common. software to view your screen remotely is widely available.

i would format after finding any sort trojan on your computer.

gl
Old 08-23-2007, 03:12 PM

i hope i am tbh, as i said i know i have tilted some nights etc. also its only been 40k of hands. i was worried as i have been doing really well all way, play pretty solid poker and found a trojan recently. better safe than sorry!

oh i've also found that my monitor flashes every now and again. thanks for the responses so far!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your best option is to put a machine between your poker computer and the internet and monitor packets there.

[/ QUOTE ]

how would i do this? i'm not that good with computers beyond basics. my virus scanner is avg as well. would this deal with a trojan or do i need to get some bigger guns?!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM

oh and the trojan was called a backdoor.hupigon.aatb. i used avg to remove it. anyidea what it could do?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM

See here
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM

I'm not a virus expert. However, if my machine had been compromised by something with "backdoor" in the name, I would never be sure, even after plugging that hole, that there wasn't another obscure hole elsewhere. After they got in, how do you know what they did to your system? To your virus scanner?

Creepy.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't imagine you're suddenly losing because of a trojan; you're losing because poker is high variance.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 PM

have you lost more than the few hundred bucks it costs to get a dedicated computer just for poker that you dont surf around on.
dont have anything on a computer that can cost you money on a computer that is used where it can pick up bad stuff.

remember that as time goes on the games get tougher and many who won before will get broke. make sure you are not in that class.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel any better, I can't imagine you're suddenly losing because of a trojan; you're losing because poker is high variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

In other news, if you want us to take a look and make sure your malware free, download hijackthis and post a log here and we'll check it out for you.