Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Aussie Millions Thread

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about all this is that Gus was on the receiving end of all this "lol he had teh worst hand LOL nh FISH" result-oriented idiocy when he first showed up on the WPT. Freddy Deeb said he wanted to play against "that guy" every day for the rest of his life. And Mike Sexton's head would almost explode any time Gus made a no-brainer pot odds call with live cards, or bet the flop with air.

[/ QUOTE ]Heh, the irony of this has not been lost on me throughout this thread.

Also regarding Hansen and his analytical skills, Sklansky said Daniel Negreanu once told him that Hansen is more of "math guy" than even him. That's quite a statement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also thought the Ace high c/r, lead against Gobbo was great, and I thought Gobbo played that hand equally well.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM

I think that Hansen's game is based in some math but at the same time I think he makes a lot of incorrect calls based on math. His A9o call against Marc was really bad, I think it's -EV to the tune of several hundred thousand chips and if Marc had doubled there he would've been directly to Gus' left with a lot of chips and would've been a definite factor.

I like a lot of things about Gus' game but I think a lot of the stuff he does can't be defended by math, but it works because he's aggressive and usually has a lot of chips. Though they showed me making a lot of moves here, I actually just played my cards well in a lot of spots to pick up chips. I was fortunate to have cards in some spots, but unfortunately I had absolutely no hands at the final table and even less once we got HU.

And as for lol donkaments, yes, I said it before the last card was dealt on the last hand. I'm looking forward to it. I expected to get a lot of [censored] for the whole tournament from people who thought I was just a giant luckbox, and I have a long way to go in tournaments but the biggest thing I got out of this whole experience is knowing the right people at a young age.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Gobbo v Gus flop float hand and the Ace on the river hand were two of the most interesting tournament hands I've seen on tv in a long time.

Also a note, I simply can't believe FSN still shows "the rules of HE" at the beginning of their shows. It's 2007, by this point its akin to showing a "three strikes and you're out" reminder during a baseball game.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about all this is that Gus was on the receiving end of all this "lol he had teh worst hand LOL nh FISH" result-oriented idiocy when he first showed up on the WPT. Freddy Deeb said he wanted to play against "that guy" every day for the rest of his life. And Mike Sexton's head would almost explode any time Gus made a no-brainer pot odds call with live cards, or bet the flop with air.

Anyway, the fact that gobbo only came 2nd proves that going all in works every time but once!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you an effing idiot? You don't put a spoiler right in the middle of a thread. Goddamn I hate you.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Oops sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I thought the final episode had aired by now, they were down to the final table midway through the last one I saw over a week ago. Well I'm impressed that you managed to stay un-spoiled for this long :/
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Anybody that puts a mega emphasis on 'reading people' has watched Tilt too many times (OMG the cliche Internet player subconsciously clicked an invisible mouse when the turn card came out - he has the nuts! Ugh.). Live tells are so insignificant when compared to the psychology and mathematical logic used to recognize an opponent's betting patterns and using that to determine hand ranges and situations based on board and table textures. Staring at a guy waiting to see if he swallows hard to determine with absolute certainty that he has the ace of hearts and the ace of spades is ludicrous, and the pros have even gone on record several times saying that it's a typical sign of a bad 'TV player'.

McCutter is saying 'you suck if you don't stare down your opponent every single hand and look into their soul to determine their exact 2 cards are' and that is so ridiculous it makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM

this thread is amazing....if Jimmy wasnt 19 yrs old, would he be getting this much flak? when he sat down at the final table, was he supposed to tell the tourney director not to deal any luck his way. Has everyone in this crazy poker boom just gotten all too smart and read every book and know every strategy that any play is considered out of the ordinary and gets ridiculed relentlessly. Mccotter u were not there, neither was I nor nearly 5 billion other people on this planet earth. He earned his way by playing goot and enjoying himself. would any one here if given the chance to be heads up with gus hansen and come in second, consider yourself a loser or a waste of a trip. I think you guys need to lighten up on this kid. Jimmy, congrats, cant wait to see next Sat. show, down to 4 on my tv. and since no one else seemed to ask,,,,,did you have a goot time down under??
Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also a note, I simply can't believe FSN still shows "the rules of HE" at the beginning of their shows. It's 2007, by this point its akin to showing a "three strikes and you're out" reminder during a baseball game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker in Germany in 2007 is like poker in the US in 2004.

Poker in Spain and Poland in 2007 is like poker in the US in 2003.

FSN and FullTiltPoker.net likely chose to save some money by editing just one "cut" of the show instead of two "cuts" i.e. one for mature markets and one for new markets.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Arguably one of the worst aspects of televised poker in that most shows still insist on going through rules and hands. IMHO it's not even required on celeb poker shows anymore.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I thought the final episode had aired by now, they were down to the final table midway through the last one I saw over a week ago. Well I'm impressed that you managed to stay un-spoiled for this long :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go off on you like that. I was a bit frustrated because I enjoy not knowing who won these except for the WSOP ME and a couple of the larger WSOP events. It makes the reading in this TV forum more enjoyable.