Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: my next ten

[ QUOTE ]
The Constant Gardener.

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote Ebert, I hated hated hated HATED this movie - the combination of heavy handedness and extreme bleakness just doesn't do it for me (and I tend to agree with the film's politics, so I'm fairly certain this wasn't an aesthetic judgment).
Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Ebert finally got around to reviewing Ratatouille, which reminded me that I think it might deserve some consideration in this thread. That an animated film can have something as simple and elegant as Ego's review, and it works, really says something.

[ QUOTE ]
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Not sure if it quailfies as one film, but Band of Brothers should be on this list.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if it quailfies as one film, but Band of Brothers should be on this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

Thought I think that is getting us into a different discussion - as I said upthread, long form TV drama has taken the legs out from under 'serious' mainstream filmmaking - so if we were going to include such things, I think the list of "best" would be dominated by such things.

(For the record, "The Wire" stands as the pinnacle of whatever category we put it in)
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

Thought I think that is getting us into a different discussion - as I said upthread, long form TV drama has taken the legs out from under 'serious' mainstream filmmaking - so if we were going to include such things, I think the list of "best" would be dominated by such things.

(For the record, "The Wire" stands as the pinnacle of whatever category we put it in)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually consider Band of Brothers to be one of the top 5 "films" ever made, period. But it is a mini-series, and not a stand-alone feature film.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 PM

I have to agree about the Wire. Nothing compares.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sexy Beast
Ben Kingsley is a star...Ray Winstone should be a star. Perfect movie with wit and great style.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I had with this movie was Kingsley's accent was so thick I needed subtitles. Otherwise excellent.

Your choice brought to mind another Kingsley movie that I saw within a week of Sexy Beast. House of Sand and Fog combined the clash of cultures, a gripping plot and top performances (although I remember some digs at Jennifer Connelly on the forum). Worth an honorable mention at least.

Finally while stumbling thrugh Netflix and Rotten Tomatoes came accross Salton Sea. Val Kilmer and Vincent D'Onofrio in a "beautifully photographed punk-noir set against the backdrop of a gang of speed freaks. How can you skip that?

Anyway, added about five more movies to the Netflix Q which is now 204 deep thanks to you guys. Noticed John Cole (my only Netflix friend other than my brother [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) loved 2046 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

though i don't think either house of sand and fog or the salton sea deserve top 20 consideration they are two of my all time favorites that no one ever saw. strange you would mention them both. i have never had anyone complain about either when i recommended them. bad initial marketing maybe. oh, another val kilmer movie--spartan gets the same treatment too.

nice work rick. J.

p.s. dom--you honorable mentions list has over half of my top ten in it i think. i have just a bit worse taste than you obv. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 PM

House of Sand and Fog got repeatedly severely hated on in OOT. There didn't seem to be much behind the protestations except general hate for the flick, but I was surprised it was so common. I wound up wondering if it was coming from religious types who don't like how the deaths were done in that movie. I found the movie really interesting, but found Kingsley a much stronger presence than Jennifer Connelly. In my mind he more than makes up for any shortcomings with Connelly, and the subject, types of personal interactions, and subtext are very unusual to see in films and very welcome.