Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 03:06 PM

Default On the Bubble against a ghost?

Second time I found myself in this situation this week. Make it down to 4-handed, but one of the players is not at the table. Blinds are pretty high, and my stack is not much bigger than the guy who isn't there. (Weird thing is the software did not say either player was disconnected, so I believe they're on automatic fold)

First time I found myself in this situation, I played like we were 3-handed and eventually went out 4th when my TT lost to JQ. I figured waiting for the ghost to bust out was not a great idea as my stack will be decimated by then, and he might catch some lucky flops in the blinds. I felt pretty foolish losing to someone who wasn't even at the table.

Today, same situation! This time I decide I'm going to fold unless I get a big pocket pair until the guy not at the table busts out. Well, everytime he ended up all-in on the blind he won! 5 times in a row! I had to play a few hands and got lucky myself, but just barely! I just barely made it to 3rd.

Anybody else find themselves in this situation? Do you usually play like you're 3-handed? I'll tell you, for the big stack, this was like Christmas with me and the other guy waiting for shorty to bust out.

Jan
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: On the Bubble against a ghost?

Two choices:

1. You should immediately sit out, too, so that you can get dealt lucky hands in the blinds.

2.You should play at a site that busts out people who aren't around to play their hands. (Stars generally does this.)

Failing that, heck, it all comes down to stack size. If doubling up would give you a shot at first, play real poker. If you're miles behind the big stacks, play ultra tight and just take your third.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM

i love it when this happens....
Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 PM

It depends i will almost never call all in but with hands like a10 77 kq I'll push.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:46 PM

Yeah this happens sometimes. Same as if it's 4 handed and one guy is severely short, but just won't die. Hopefully you have him on your left, so you can go all in on him out of the SB. As far as aggressiveness against the other bigger stacks, what can you do? You gotta make it to the money. See if you can be the one to set the tone and make the others afraid of you. If that doesn't work, just wait until you're forced to make +ev pushes.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 PM

IMO, if you are close to his stack size, there is not a huge difference between when there is a short stack away and when the short stack is active. You have to continue to make +$EV pushes, because, as you found out, he may double up and then you'll be in jeopardy.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:36 PM

Did you call an all in with the 10s or push with them and get called? I would probably only call an all in with AA KK and maybe AK if you got a guy who is sitting out. At the lower levels usually the guy that pushes is going to have something...33+, KJ, KQ, QJ, J10s or A anything. I would probably have pushed with the 10s but i wouldn't have called an all in with them (with the guy auto folding)

Red B

Everything sucks......

except my bitch wife.