Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Cornyn (R-TX) and Hutchison (R-TX) responses.

[received 10/18]

Dear xxx:

Thank you for contacting me about Internet gambling. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

Internet gambling websites operate primarily from foreign countries, even though the majority of customers are Americans. However, placing bets online violates state law; to date no state has authorized people located in the state to place bets with offshore websites. Federal laws also reinforce state gambling laws. The Illegal Gambling Businesses Act, the Travel Act, and the Gambling Devices Transportation Act all transform violations of state gambling laws into federal crimes.

In addition, an amendment was added to H.R. 4954 (the Security and Accountability For Every Port Act) that would prevent the use of certain payment instruments, credit cards, and fund transfers for unlawful Internet gambling, and for other purposes. The Senate and House passed H.R. 4954, and President George W. Bush signed it into law (P.L. 109-347) on October 13, 2006.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers relevant legislation. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

--

[received 10/25]

Dear xxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gambling on the Internet. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

On October 13, 2006, President Bush signed into law the SAFE Port Act, Public Law 109-347, which includes a provision that prohibits gambling businesses from accepting checks, credit cards, and electronic transfers in connection with illegal Internet gambling. I voted for the comprehensive SAFE Port Act, which contains many other provisions that will protect the safety and security of our country, including an amendment I introduced that adds 1,000 new Customs and Border Protection agents.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Cornyn (R-TX) and Hutchison (R-TX) responses.

Thanks for sharing that. Sen. Cornyn is incorrect, as I figure we all know. We don't require permission from states to play online. This is a free country. Last time I checked, when states bring criminal charges against people, they have to cite a law that was broken. I guess Cornyn thinks that cops can arrest people for anything not specifically made legal. LOL. Anyway, the way it works is that states must pass laws against Internet poker if they wish it to be illegal.

I guess Sen. Hutchinson didn't wish to share her opinion on the matter.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess Sen. Hutchinson didn't wish to share her opinion on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

But she did sponsor an amendment to add 1000 border patrol agents to help stop illegal aliens from sneaking into the US to play online poker.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 PM

I love how 90% of their responses are a history lesson of what the bill is (and most of the time it is wrong).
Old 11-09-2007, 04:57 AM

I sent a letter to Hutchison around the time the UIGEA passed. The response said something like "I support this bill because we have to protect the children."
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Write back and tell Cornyn that Americans get their rights from our creator not the states.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Write back and tell Cornyn that Americans get their rights from our creator not the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with that!

D$D