Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: My first PS Sunday Million - What would you do?

In the million I call this all day and with description of villian I snap call. To be honest, I'd call his all in if your hand was AJ. I think we are forgetting he called basically a min raise while in bb with something like 4.6 to 1 odds preflop. His range here is huge, and yes "AT, TT, 33, A3" are beating us, but those are four hands out of alot of combinations. Not to mention on top of information we have on villian, a typical unknown in the million is standardly terrible and you can't necissarily give him credit for understanding basic logic.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Re raise pf. As it stands close your eyes and call.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Hey, thanks everyone. I'm still not sure whether I should have called the all-in, but this hand definitely shows that re-raising pre-flop would have made this hand easier to play.

I fully expected BB to show down AQ or AJ, with AT and 33 a possibility. I also can't fully discount a flush draw. (Not saying that my read was right though, obviously). MP1 had been min-raising a LOT of pots and following up with c-bets, so even though the action on the flop (raise, reraise, reraise all-in) looks like I'm beat, if BB is paying attention, he is probably not too worried about MP1's initial flop raise. I know I wasn't as he often folded post flop if his c-bet met with any resistance.

Anyway, here is how the hand played out. Pretty surprising results here!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t9525)
Hero (t9900)
CO (t8100)
Button (t9500)
SB (t11150)
BB (t6050)
UTG (t10313)
UTG+1 (t9837)
MP1 (t15625)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t225</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t225, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t125.

Flop: (t725) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t375</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t5825</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls t4725.

Turn: (t12750) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t12750) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t12750

BB has 3h Td (full house, tens full of threes).
Hero has Ac Kd (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: BB wins t12750. <font color="black"> </font>
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 PM

You need to trust your gut. You are conflicted because this is your first big tourney. In a 5 or 10 game you are pushing with AK because you are willing to risk the $5 entry fee, even though your gut tells you shouldn't. Since it was a $215 tourney you listened to your gut and thought better of overplaying your AK. Knowing when to throw away AK post flop is a hard lesson for people to learn. You may have had him beat, but I agree that his early shows confirm folding was the right thing to do. Then you watch him and wait until you know your hand is good.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a 5 or 10 game you are pushing with AK because you are willing to risk the $5 entry fee, even though your gut tells you shouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually I'm willing to go all the way with AK in the smaller buy-ins because most times I'll be up against a player with a weaker ace in this spot.

I expected a better caliber of players in the Sunday Million, which is why I am analyzing my play here. In a $5 tourney I would chalk this hand up to a weak player getting lucky and just move on, feeling pretty confident that he/she would have made the same play with A3o.

Jan