Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: My first PS Sunday Million - What would you do?

Fold. Range not correct. Why would he push with A8 or A9 after u reraised flop? no f'kin way.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 AM

Villain might have been in a lot of pots, but unless you gauged him to be a total moron your line is fine. Reraising with your stack preflop can be good, but I'd probably play it as you did, unless original raiser was maniacal...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold. Range not correct. Why would he push with A8 or A9 after u reraised flop? no f'kin way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read OP's description of the villain?

I like a call based on what you've told us.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 AM

Calling with AK pre-flop allows us, IMO, to take exactly this line. The whole point, as far as I see it, is that we do not declare the strength of our hand and can thus stack AQ on flops like this. I think you have to go broke here if BB has flopped aces up or a set of threes because he's also doing this with flush draws and probably any ace.

OP - the Million does not really play like a high buyin. The standard is very variable, often very bad, and if you are prepared to felt this hand in a $20/180, I think you should be prepared to felt it here.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 AM

Did you guys not notice that this is a cold 3-bet? Just call the flop every time, and this is a really easy fold.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys not notice that this is a cold 3-bet? Just call the flop every time, and this is a really easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on our read of villain. The read give is this:

"Villian was in a lot of pots, and most of his bets were exceptionally large both pre-flop and post flop. He only showed down a couple of hands, both times weaker hands than would have been expected."

If these are my chips, then I would want a better read, but if I've seen BB willing to felt QJ as top pair, I'm calling here.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM

Villain would have to be reaaaaally bad to show up here with a range that makes this a call. All the given read said was that he's laggy and that his bets are large. We don't know what he was felting when he showed down weak hands, they could easily have been smart bluffs or calldowns that went wrong. I don't think we should assume he;s retarded just from that.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 AM

I don't get it... One thing is to bet hard with semi-good hands, a whole other ball game is going all in for all your chips after other player has reraised flop with A. In other words, betting hard with semi-good hands/hands weaker than expected does never mean that villain is a complete maniac, which needs to be the case in order for this call to be +ev
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain would have to be reaaaaally bad to show up here with a range that makes this a call. All the given read said was that he's laggy and that his bets are large. We don't know what he was felting when he showed down weak hands, they could easily have been smart bluffs or calldowns that went wrong. I don't think we should assume he;s retarded just from that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. In my experience of the Million, which is not especially great, he doesn't have to be, relatively speaking, that retarded to make this a call.

I understand your point and I would only commit my chips here after a DB check and having seen him make moves that suggest to me that he can make this move with a smaller kicker or a flush draw. I don't think it's all that unusual to believe that villain can think AJ is good here because of pre-flop.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM

raise pf