Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Default The silence is deafening....

and the suspence is killing me. The longer Pokerstars goes without telling us their stance, the less optimistic I become. Are they waiting for the president to sign the bill before announcing their intentions, and if so, why? If they plan on staying in the US market, I see no reason why Stars would have to wait until the signing to clue us in on what is happening?

I know this is nothing but speculation and if this post is deemed worthless, go ahead and remove it. But if Pokerstars pulls out, even with all the other sites stepping up to take their place, the online poker world just is not going to be the same. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Jan
Expecting the worst but hoping for the best...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: The silence is deafening....

There is no one who should commit to anything longterm at this point.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 PM

The best case scenario is it will take a few months for the poker sites to structure their deposits to not violate the new laws, and it will be business as usual.

The worst case scenario is several sites will go under, but online poker will continue to remain, just that the games will be tougher than in the past.

Nobody can clarify it past that at the moment.

IMO I think it will lean slightly towards the best case scenario, but obviously not as juicy as it once was.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM

I think that's a good summary of it all but I too am very anxious to hear some real concrete news around all of this. This has totally put a mental block on my game and made me a little depressed.

Indy
Old 10-09-2006, 01:10 PM

I agree though, there should be some statement. I was pissed at Party for just pulling out after no thought, but If come Thursday pokerstars announces they are pulling out and they have everything organized on how they are distributing bonuses/cancelling the WPT or something, I am gonna call BS cause they probably already know exactly what they are gonna do.

Seriously, its been a week, they cant still be *completely* up in the air. Either you are going to cut half of your business on Friday or your not.

I agree that if they were going to stay, they would at least say something by now. If they come out on Thursday with the *we are closing here's how we're doing it* announcement, I will be mad they strung us along.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

Pokerstars is almost certainly staying the course unless they decide not to.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:25 PM

While I agree that it is tough to wait it out for an answer from Stars, I'm glad that they are thinking it through. Some of the other sites made a quick decision and statement without objectively evaluating the situation from several standpoints. It appears as if Stars is doing just that; looking at every option and waiting to make an informed decision. That's good business.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM

stars has always run a better business than party and has always shown more dedication to the game in general.

Indy
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has totally put a mental block on my game and made me a little depressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM

At first it didn't bother me that much but I think that this stuff has taken away my will to win. I need some closure on all of this ASAP.

Indy