Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Real Money Play - NOT for US customers

This is a portion of an e-mail I received today from PKR Poker room. It's a brand new site that just launched it's real money play. Here it is:

"...Today marks our real money launch on PKR. While we're very proud of the game we're delivering to our players and excited about giving them the opportunity to play for real money, we're also disappointed to announce that, we can't offer real money play to our US based players at this time.

No doubt you've been following the news that the Senate may vote on a bill that could ban online gaming in the United States. As a result, we've had some tough decisions to make regarding the launch of real money play on PKR in the US. We've concluded that we have no choice but to postpone our launch for real money in the USA while we wait for the Senate's decision. This should take place in October, meaning that we hope to be able to offer you real money play in 6-8 weeks time.

We realize that this news will be as frustrating to many of you as it is for us. Please accept our apologies. This situation is beyond our control and we hope that it will be a temporary one...."

:-(

Jan
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Real Money Play - NOT for US customers

They must be fairly ignorant...either a vote will happen in September or we won't know until the new year. Nothing will be decided in October.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They must be fairly ignorant...either a vote will happen in September or we won't know until the new year. Nothing will be decided in October.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much correct.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Thought I would reply to try and help explain why we came to the decision we did.
Believe me, we’re as upset as you are and we tried hard to find a way around it. Temporarily losing a large % of our audience (and upsetting them) is not a decision we wanted to make or one taken lightly but I'll try to explain why we had to:

We have US investors and US investors have pulled out of every single publicly traded poker company already – on the 17th July to be precise.
It would be crazy for us to have thousands of US players for a couple of months and then have to return all your funds to you.
We are all hoping that this is only in the short term. October is important because the Senate session runs from 4th September to 6th October.

As far as freerolls go, if you win money in free rolls we will pay you. The difference between depositing and winning free rolls is that you (the customer) have not wagered anything. We’re not letting US players use their freeroll winnings in cash games because that might be considered gambling under the proposed legislation (even if you never deposited on our site). This is something we’re going to be reviewing. The reason we are continuing running freerolls at US friendly times is that we are still hoping that you will be able to join us in the coming months

Lets hope the Senate will see sense.....

Andy (PKR)
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be crazy for us to have thousands of US players for a couple of months and then have to return all your funds to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I would rather have zero revenue than X revenue for a short amount of time.