Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Default What\'s the point of the \"can\'t tell the truth about your hand\" rule?

Is it simply collusion, or am I missing something else? Saw it enforced last night, thought it was weird.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: What\'s the point of the \"can\'t lie about your hand\" rule?

Have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, title wrong. Situation: UTG raise, re-raised by 3 seat. One other caller. UTG caps, saying "mine are paint, and the same." Both call. Flop comes Q high, UTG says "I hit my set of queens." Lot of action to show down, UTG shows queens. 3 seat wants the hand dead. Lot of arguing, ending up in a decision that the 3 seat is technically correct about the rule, but UTG just gets a warning.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM

I can't imgaine why that's a rule, either? Seen it with Jamie Gold and a few other WSOP games. If that's the rule, why are you allowed to lie about your hand? LOL. Either you shouldn't be able to say anything, or you should be able to say anything you want. Let the opp figure out if you are bluffing. Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Added: If you are colluding, it would be simple to have a plan for what card you are talking about -- so you could lie, but your partner would know what you meant.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM

I've heard of this rule, "You can lie about your hand, but not tell the truth."

Was at a table a few weeks ago, several limpers, BB checked pre flop.

After the flop, someone bets, and BB flips his cards up (showing 72o) and folds. Dealer warned him (correctly, I think) that he was giving players who hadn't bet yet information that they weren't entitled to.

As a previous poster pointed out, if you can't show your cards you shouldn't be able to tell people what they are, makes at least some sense.

Warning seems appropriate in a low limit game.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM

What Jamie Gold did was against the rules. NOBODY understood at the time why the TD wasn't jumping all over him and sending him to the rail to watch a few hands. Even Gold himself acknowledges this now...he cheated and he knows it.

But his hand would NEVER be dead in a TDA tournament just for revealing it (either by exposing the cards or divulging what they are).

Cash games are fuzzier and house rules apply. It is against the rules pretty much everywhere to reveal your hand in a multi-way pot with action pending. Heads-up, most places are cool with revealing your cards at any time. Some rooms have wacky rules about killing hands that are revealed. Buyer beware--find out what rules are used where you're playing before you get "clever".
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, title wrong. Situation: UTG raise, re-raised by 3 seat. One other caller. UTG caps, saying "mine are paint, and the same." Both call. Flop comes Q high, UTG says "I hit my set of queens." Lot of action to show down, UTG shows queens. 3 seat wants the hand dead. Lot of arguing, ending up in a decision that the 3 seat is technically correct about the rule, but UTG just gets a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lying or telling the truth about your cards hand nothing to do with it. The only time you can talk about a hand, while it is in progress, is in a cash game and the action is heads up and you are one of those two players.

Talking about a hand during a hand means saying what you have or lying about what you have or speculating about an opponent's hand. This sort of thing usually happens on the river when a player is facing a big bet and is deciding what to do. As well, the player who made the bet can either lie or tell the truth about what he has.

The penalty for breaking this rule is usually a warning and then a time penalty. It is very rare to kill a hand because of this.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM

TDA rules specify, you cannot expose nor discuss the exact cards in your hand. however you can be vague when discussing your hand, only when its heads-up! your allowed to say things like :"i got a pretty good hand here" or "your AK is no good" "i got you beat" things like that.

now as far as jamie gold goes, the ONLY thing he did wrong that broke the rules was exposing his JACK when there was still action yet to come....he never said "i have trip queens" or "ive got the nut flush" or anything like that. he was pushing it, but he only crossed the line once, by exposing his card.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Is it legal to fold, have your cards mucked, but kept to the side so you can show your hand after the hand is done? I know it would be mechanically awkward to do this, but is it legal if the dealer is willing?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes Q high, UTG says "I hit my set of queens." Lot of action to show down, UTG shows queens. 3 seat wants the hand dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love how he wants the hand dead ONLY after he's gone to showdown and lost, yet not on the flop when the incident occured.

Typical miserable A-Hole.

b