Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, Pitchfork reviewed Real Life by Joan as Police Woman and gave it an 8.1, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention it. It's really a great album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I going crazy or did that album come out a lonnnnng time ago?

Does anyone here use iTunes? For some reason when I click on songs the mini-store at the bottom doesn't change to what I have selected any more. The album art to the left still updates, but the actual store pane doesn't change. Anyone know how to fix that? I spent a lot of time making sure everything was tagged so that it would match up with the iTunes store [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Modeselektor - Happy Birthday!

came out last week for all the electronic fans. glitchy electro rock. good stuff.

one review said this album will "out prefuse Prefuse 73" I would def draw that comparison, although without as much vocal work.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 PM

just noticed that Champaign-Urbana space rockers Hum have had their 1996 single 'Stars' picked up for a Cadillac commercial. pretty funny and i am happy for these guys because they were a good band and never really made any money. their lead singer went back to being a substitute schoolteacher after their last album in 1998, so good for them.

Hum - Stars
Old 09-16-2007, 07:19 PM

That's awesome. You'd prefer... is ace. Nobody in the UK ever cared though and probably still won't.

Went and saw this band play an incredible reunion gig last night - some of you might enjoy them: www.myspace.com/spyversusspyband
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just noticed that Champaign-Urbana space rockers Hum have had their 1996 single 'Stars' picked up for a Cadillac commercial. pretty funny and i am happy for these guys because they were a good band and never really made any money. their lead singer went back to being a substitute schoolteacher after their last album in 1998, so good for them.

Hum - Stars

[/ QUOTE ]
I noticed this during the Bears game too and was pretty surprised.

Also, MIA's Kala is so frickin' good. I can't believe how much I like it, and I was expecting a lot.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hum - Stars

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHHHHH WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

ok, I have been trying to find out what song this was for about 6 years

All I ever had to go on was "it was from 1995ish, it had very light and very heavy parts to the song, the title or the band or song had something to do with space, and I vageuly remembered an explicit lyrics warnign on the CD cover"

I asked a ton of people, and could never get the song. I was going to post it in OOT, but didnt feel it was worthy of a thread. (the irony is not lost)
Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 AM

CMI, i'm surprised you didn't listen to hum, the album that song is from is damn good (You'd Prefer an Astronaut). they kinda sound like Failure but less repetitive, and replace the heroin with weird geeky science stuff.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM

NT!, I friggin' love all of those albums (except Lakes of Russia, with which I am unfamiliar). Sort of along those same lines, I busted out my American Football CD the other day and remembered how awesome that was.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

ahh yes i have that album too, i don't think i ever listened to it much. will give it a go later.

this thread also made me bust out a few other records from that era - Braid - Frame and Canvas, Samiam - Astray, and Avail - Dixie. Two other standbys that this thread reminded me of, which I have been listening to often but felt compelled to mention, are

Hot Water Music- Fuel for the Hate Game - sort of an early post-hardcore release from this Florida group, anticipates some of the more anthemic cadences and pop-punk hooks of their later albums, but is more complex, challenging, and rhythmically diverse. the bass playing on this record is as good as that on any hardcore or punk album i can think of - some really interesting and intricate bass lines that add a lot to the songs without being distracting. i struggle to find an apt comparison for these guys, kind of like a busier fugazi in the rhythm section, while the vocals and leads are more like other punk-core acts like Avail or H20, but more melodic, better harmonies, and better lyrics. this album is in my top-five of must-own 90's indie releases.

Leatherface - Mush - Frankie Stubbs always sounds angry about something, even though the subject matter of this British punk masterpiece is more wistful and abstract than his tone would suggest. he just has a harsh, expressive, wonderful voice, like a punk-rock tom waits whose volume is stuck at 11. you know what you're getting with leatherface - crisp, attacking leads and dueling guitar parts over driving up-tempo arrangements. sounds like the clash covering nick cave. another must-own record.

hope you guys don't mind these trips down memory lane. i think listening to these bands really informs your ear if you are into some of the current stuff, a lot of which i find bland and derivative. (i suppose every crotchety old elitist [censored] thinks the same thing so don't mind me.)
Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hum - Stars

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHHHHH WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

ok, I have been trying to find out what song this was for about 6 years

All I ever had to go on was "it was from 1995ish, it had very light and very heavy parts to the song, the title or the band or song had something to do with space, and I vageuly remembered an explicit lyrics warnign on the CD cover"

I asked a ton of people, and could never get the song. I was going to post it in OOT, but didnt feel it was worthy of a thread. (the irony is not lost)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little hurt you never asked me. Hum's been one of my all time favorite bands. In 2003, half the band reformed a band called Centaur. Pretty good album, but they stopped. The lead singer produced some local hardcore acts, and influenced Hopesfall to become more like space rockers.
Closed Thread