Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Flopped Top set with Jack kicker vs. 4 players, no read

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.
calls.

1. Booya! Top set! I'll bet my Filipino pride none of these jabronis have that other king with a better kicker. Pocket 4s? Don't think so. I want to see it rain re-raises, hallelujah!

2. Alrite, so I just got popped back on the turn and nobody folded. These guys are obviously gonna call down all the way.... what's going on... king with crap kicker... maybe someone is chasing a spade draw now.. 2's over? 4's over? pocket jacks?!?! For those reasons I will not re-raise, but for the fact that any of those possibilities are coolers, I won't fold, i'll just check-call.

input please
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Flopped Top set with Jack kicker vs. 4 players, no read

Personally I would have 3 bet the turn but that's just me. I like free money.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm not slowing down here.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM

preflop is def. a raise.

if mp1 were competent at all you would have the easiest call of your life here, because he should only ever have a king. thus, the other player basically always has a set. mp1 is probably not competent so there is a decent chance button has just a king. however, it is obvious that either you or mp1 has a king on the flop. so, it is pretty ridiculous for him to raise here with a weak king. however, it's 0.02/0.04, and people play bad.

so while basic hand reading make this look like a call, the limit makes it look like a raise. much like many hands look like a fold, but the PAHud stats of villain make that hard to say (ie the guy is 70/30).

whatev
Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 PM

wow, you guys would 3 bet the turn and potentially cap the river considering the number of players that were still in the pot?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 PM

i guess my question is whether or not it was correct of me to check-call on the turn after getting popped back
Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess my question is whether or not it was correct of me to check-call on the turn after getting popped back

[/ QUOTE ]

You are never folding this hand. Even if the river comes 3-flush. The question is how much to keep pushing. A lot of players will raise the turn with flopped trips. Button could hold any K. You are ahead of most of them, and you are like 99.99% ahead of MP1. Lastly at .02/.04 some players can be so bad that overplaying your hand is not as bad as underplaying it.

Buzz

edit: also the likelihood of 22 is pretty low, such as to not even consider it. 44 is also low-ish but not unreasonable for sure.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, you guys would 3 bet the turn and potentially cap the river considering the number of players that were still in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you afraid of ? 44 ? 22 ? AK would probably have raised preflop.

I think that I would have been tempted to call MP1's flop raise.

That would be so, you could then raise him on the turn.

Yes, I would have 3-bet the turn.

You are a big favourite as others have said, and it is too early too slow down.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:27 PM

this is not a set.

Preflop, that's ok on a loose table. Sorry I misread the hand as someone c/r you on the turn. I agree with everone else 3-betting the turn.