Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: are people who swear often less intelligent?

My sisters boyfriend Elliot was always a well behaved gentleman. One night, she brought him over for dinner to meet my conservative parents. When he sat down, he grabbed a wing from the plate in the middle, shoved it into his mouth, and said, with a mouthful, "This chicken [censored] sucks!".

In shock, I turned to my sister and asked, "I'nt El a gent?!"
Old 02-23-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's more a matter of education than intelligence. The better educated you are, the better you'll be able to express your thoughts.

There are different ways to converse around friends, family, women, co-workers, etc.

The lack of intellegence comes from not being able to differentiate when certain forms of expression are appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you consider "education?" I went to a vocational high school for auto mechanics, but I am able to write/speak better than many college students/graduates, because I've never been afraid of books.

Some people who swear when others think it's inappropriate just don't give a *&(% what others think is appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Education comes from places other than universities.

As for not caring what others think, that's your decision. I curse as much as anyone, but I don't talk to my mom the same way I do my friends.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:29 PM

All,

I think Diablo and Noo Yawk said it well, and my thinking falls along their lines. A somewhat similar situation is when people do the opposite of dumbing down what they're saying with swears left and right, and try too hard to use incorrect analogies, misplaced parts of speech, and so forth.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:31 PM

asofel,

ZeeJustin and DcifrThs are interesting case studies for someone analyzing this stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:34 PM

to all,

for those who are asking if chris rock is smart and other comedians: comedians are usually amongst some of the smartest people, obviously there are exceptions but for the most part comedians are brilliant. chris rock and george carlin are highly intelligent people, if you don't agree with their beliefs or don't find them funny this doesn't mean that they aren't intelligent.

for the question in the OP, i believe that trivial swearing can be construed as less intelligent but swearing as a whole doesn't ALWAYS mean less intelligence. a person should be able to manipulate his/her sentences in a way in which they don't need to swear, this is a sign of intelligence but sometimes it is nice to to not sound like such a pretentious thesaurus nit and be able to let loose mindlessly even if you have the capacity to do it in another way.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
asofel,

ZeeJustin and DcifrThs are interesting case studies for someone analyzing this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'll have to look into that...of course, that begs the question: when does intentionally self-effacing discourse contradict its already dubious nature?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
asofel,

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] them.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:36 PM

I probably swear more than anyone I know (in daily life).

The ability to deploy language effectively is a sign of some kind of intelligence, and swearing will often make a phrase, sentence or idea funnier, more precise or more emphatic.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 PM

I must be a retard then.

I really don't think theres any correlation here. It can probably be filed with the "masturbate, and your palm will grow hair" type sayings.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Doesn't have to do with intelligence, it has to do with being able too lazy to fully express your thoughts verbally. I don't think that all these examples of cursing sailor geniuses used curse words so much in their written work. It's just a short cut in language. Plus it's more accessible for stupid people.

Plus, it's [censored] cool to use cuss words all the time. Kinda like bragging about how much alcohol you can consume, the more the better!