Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu\'s Latest Cardplayer Article

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think Barry's WPT success had anything to do with pokerstars sponsoring him?

[/ QUOTE ]Not really, has he even made a FT since being signed by PS?
Barry was the man before getting signed by Stars and he still is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Barry was always the man, and still is, but you made my point when you said that he hasn't made a FT since singing by stars...I doubt his WPT success is the only reason he got a contract, but while to me and you he is known as an amazing cash game player, to the general public who watches some poker on TV he is known as that Robin hook of poker guy from the WPT, and that had to have had a strong influence on his pokerstars sponsorship
Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Clarifying

[ QUOTE ]
If you can make one big bet an hour and your hourly standard deviation is ten big bets, you really need a 500 big bet bankroll. But that required bankroll is proportional to your standard deviation and inversely proportional to your hourly rate. So if you double your stakes but figure to earn only the same amount, you need four times as much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be a nit, but adequate bankroll is not in simple inverse proportionate relationship to expected hourly rate. An expected hourly rate of zero does not imply need for an infinite bankroll. It's a complex function.

This may or may not be only relevant to a decision on moving up levels (depending on other assumptions).
Old 08-25-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DN never saw a table he didn't think he could beat

[/ QUOTE ]

except for 95% of every 50/100nl+ tables that have ran online
Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 PM

rrrrright, I was confused
edit: was in response to Barry comment
Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 PM

also my point was that there may be some good reasons to take unusually big risks that may result in going broke - i don't think every one of these guys necessarily realized this with poker but i think there are times in life when taking a large risk might be worth it.

tc
Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM

I can't find the article. DN's August article is about his proposed changes to the Main Event.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:39 PM

OP This coming from the guy that runs around chasing girls that could be his daughter. You know the best way to gamble yet you run around chasing young chicks like a retard in a window licking contest. So we should trust your skills at gambling looking at how smart you are when it comes to chasing woman. LOL good one
Old 08-25-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"I completely agree that those who never push themselves past their comfort level are somewhat sad cases. If you can afford it, play in higher games than you are used to if for no other reason than it will help your game."

I think this is quite ignorant. If you are a kid playing for fun or playing for ego, sure, push yourself as much as you choose. If it is your career, you should play within your comfort zone. Undoubtedly you will have pushed yourself outside of it on your way to making it your career. But once there, to say it is sad to be responsible and have your job have some kind of stability is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for nittiness
Old 08-25-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a theoretically correct risk tolerance. And if your own personal psychology pushes you too far away from it in EITHER direction, it behooves you to try to change.

[/ QUOTE ]
People still take risks for fun and not because they are theoretically correct. This is called not being a nit.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP This coming from the guy that runs around chasing girls that could be his daughter. You know the best way to gamble yet you run around chasing young chicks like a retard in a window licking contest. So we should trust your skills at gambling looking at how smart you are when it comes to chasing woman. LOL good one

[/ QUOTE ]