Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Consequences of Norway probably signing \"UIGEA\"-law

The Norwegian government will probably sign a "UIGEA"-law in the Spring. And I am wondering what consequences that may have on online poker-rooms´ acceptance of Norwegian players.

I fear that roughly the same rooms currently not accepting Americans will not accept Norwegians either. I also fear that the risk/reward ratio of accepting Norwegians is lower than that of Americans and that even more sites will not accept Norwegians.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Consequences of Norway probably signing \"UIGEA\"-law

I cant believe Norway would enact a UIGEA-law. The UIGEA was the product of a backroom compromise that resulted in one of the worst written, indeterminable statutes ever passed. No one in this country is really sure what the UIGEA does or does not actually prohibit other than money transfers for sports betting.

The devil is in the details, LordMushroom. Specifics are what count. Without knowing the specifics of whats being proposed I cant answer your question.

Skallagrim
Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Norwegian government will probably sign a "UIGEA"-law in the Spring. And I am wondering what consequences that may have on online poker-rooms´ acceptance of Norwegian players.

I fear that roughly the same rooms currently not accepting Americans will not accept Norwegians either. I also fear that the risk/reward ratio of accepting Norwegians is lower than that of Americans and that even more sites will not accept Norwegians.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what we US tax payers gave Norway for them to even think of such a thing?

You Swedes better sleep with one eye open!! My be it is part of Russia now that the bear is in a coma...

D$D
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Consumer discretionary spending in Bergen will drop 37%

Consumer discretionary spending in Bergen will drop 37%.

Norwegian poker players' suicide rate will rise 37% this winter.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Consumer discretionary spending in Bergen will drop 37%

Blame the Estonians.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM

Another thing I am wondering about is:

If an American moves to say Canada (but is still an American citizen), can he then play at sites like Party Poker and Everest Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
The devil is in the details, LordMushroom. Specifics are what count. Without knowing the specifics of whats being proposed I cant answer your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you more, but they haven´t formulated the law yet. All I know is they want to make it illegal to transfer funds from Norwegian banks to gambling companies.

Whether it is illegal for individual people to do this, or if it is illegal for the banks, I don´t know. Nor do I know if it is illegal to use a middle-man like Neteller.

The punishment for breaking the law is likely to be mild, though, as punishment in Norway is generally mild.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 AM

Whilst Norway is not a full member of the EU it is subject to EU competition law. They would not be able to implement a UIGEA style law against EU based (Malta, Gib, Isle of Man, UK) gambling sites without getting their ass kicked in court.

Ain't gonna happen, don't worry.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whilst Norway is not a full member of the EU it is subject to EU competition law. They would not be able to implement a UIGEA style law against EU based (Malta, Gib, Isle of Man, UK) gambling sites without getting their ass kicked in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless, as I understand it, Norway were to make all gambling illegal (or maybe just online gambling). I know the EU has been quite active in forcing member states who have state gambling monopolies to open up to competition from other countries gambling sites, but they have said a state retains the right to simply ban gambling.

PS - just a short thank you to Richas for his EU perspective and information, it adds a lot to this otherwise US centered forum.

Skallagrim
Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless, as I understand it, Norway were to make all gambling illegal (or maybe just online gambling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely given the current revenues from their state monoply. I think they'd rather have them eroded than lost overnight. In addition the outright ban would work for WTO but would be unlikely to work in the EU where access to each others markets is more firmly agreed. Not been put up for legal review yet but if some EU country were to try an outright ban I'd expect them to lose as they are not allowed to reduce access.

[ QUOTE ]
just a short thank you to Richas....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee thanks, you're welcome.