Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: WPT Bay 101 Shooting Star thread

Pot size bet in NL

At one point Ted wanted to make a pot size raise, but the TD would not allow it, requiring him to state a raise amount. Why?

If they can handle pot size bets in pot limit games, why can't they do it in a NL game?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or was Amir the biggest donk this season, even surpassing the original man of God EG Harvin and Roll Eyes Weiss? Every hand he played he grossly misplayed. He wasn't even that aggressive, which makes it doubly surprising that a guy of his skill made it to the final table. He must've cold-decked quite a few players on the way to the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

He rivered a 3 outer against Hans TUNA Lund in a decent pot to bust Lund in 15th. I only bring it up cause Lund has been hot as of late and I wonna see him make a TV final table. He did get a mention on the WPT Inivitational at least.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:02 AM

JJ's call of the shove was ridiculous.....what half way decent player would think Ted woud bet approx 3.5 million into a 1.5 million pot without the nuts.....yes it sucked she had a straight and got drawn out on, but seriously his shove is ridiculous and he let her off the hook with such a bad bet and she didnt cut ties......A very amateur call as far as I am concerned. Its not even the betting action from the hand dismisses a back door flush draw. Really piss poor.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot size bet in NL

At one point Ted wanted to make a pot size raise, but the TD would not allow it, requiring him to state a raise amount. Why?

If they can handle pot size bets in pot limit games, why can't they do it in a NL game?

[/ QUOTE ]I was wondering the same thing. DN was talking about it on HSP arguing that you can ask the dealer how much is in the pot. Amnon said you can't Daniel said you can.
In a wsop event I asked the dealer how tall the stacks in the pot were and he said he couldn't tell me, so I slowed the game down and counted myself. It's a stupid rule, especially if the chips are already stacked.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JJ's call of the shove was ridiculous.....what half way decent player would think Ted woud bet approx 3.5 million into a 1.5 million pot without the nuts.....yes it sucked she had a straight and got drawn out on, but seriously his shove is ridiculous and he let her off the hook with such a bad bet and she didnt cut ties......A very amateur call as far as I am concerned. Its not even the betting action from the hand dismisses a back door flush draw. Really piss poor.

[/ QUOTE ]I mostly agree with you here. I do think it was a bad call, but I think it was a great bet. She seemed to me like a bit of a calling station and even talked about it in her interview "the men bruff me because I am a woman" iirc.
I think she also was slowplaying all her big hands which Ted is sure to have picked up on and read her for being strong enough to call.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot size bet in NL

[/ QUOTE ]I was wondering the same thing. DN was talking about it on HSP arguing that you can ask the dealer how much is in the pot. Amnon said you can't Daniel said you can.
In a wsop event I asked the dealer how tall the stacks in the pot were and he said he couldn't tell me, so I slowed the game down and counted myself. It's a stupid rule, especially if the chips are already stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason a dealer can state/count the size of the pot in PL is that the pot size is, by rule, the maximum allowable bet. In limit and NL, it is the player's responsibility to track the pot size.

The TD's ruling here was 100% correct, and I suspect Ted knew that, and tried to "bet the pot" in order to induce a call from his opponent by giving a "fake strength" reverse tell. "I know that you know that my attempted PSB is probably a case of strong-means-weak, but I know you don't know that I'm actually strong." Double levelling by a pro, FTW.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Ted Forrest is SPOOKY good.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason a dealer can state/count the size of the pot in PL is that the pot size is, by rule, the maximum allowable bet. In limit and NL, it is the player's responsibility to track the pot size.

The TD's ruling here was 100% correct, and I suspect Ted knew that, and tried to "bet the pot" in order to induce a call from his opponent by giving a "fake strength" reverse tell. "I know that you know that my attempted PSB is probably a case of strong-means-weak, but I know you don't know that I'm actually strong." Double levelling by a pro, FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that as well. Surely someone like Ted would know that you can't refer to pot in NL when you make a raise. If that's what Ted was doing, then it would be classified as an angle shoot, though, wouldn't it?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 PM

wait, Vince's big "let's get ready to rumble!" catchphrase is "Lets go watch 'em gamble?"
Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or was Amir the biggest donk this season, even surpassing the original man of God EG Harvin and Roll Eyes Weiss? Every hand he played he grossly misplayed. He wasn't even that aggressive, which makes it doubly surprising that a guy of his skill made it to the final table. He must've cold-decked quite a few players on the way to the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the definition of a calling station. I think his first raise came over halfway through the episode, just prior to his bustout hand.