Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

[ QUOTE ]
man i love donking it up in home games. the 20$ HIGH ROLLIN STATUS where people call AI with bottom pair or the nits that fold TPWK in 3 handed play to a cbet

[/ QUOTE ]
My home game plays deep. We play 1/1 NLH but often buy in for $500 or so. I'm the only way who plays high stakes, but everyone has a good job so they can afford to lose but they aren't used to throwing the money around. I love to bet 10x and 20x pot. The other day, I raised to $2 in the SB and the BB made it $6. I made it $200 and he folded despite 'knowing' that I had nothing. I had 42o and showed, obv. Yay for home games!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The latest:
After I make a bad turn call on a bad read and end up sucking out:

Guy: "Since you're a pro, can I have my chips back?"
Me: "Um, no."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah one of my broke degen friends who I used to play live $2/4 LHE with was playing $1/2 CAP NL on full tilt a few months ago and I decided to sit down with $25,000 and start donking around. After I sucked out on him with like 77 vs QQ all in preflop he went crazy and demanded his money back. wtf?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM

when i first started playing i thought how cool it would be to be able to say "i play poker for a living"

a few months later when i got to that level it wasnt as cool as i thought it would have been. it felt like i was bragging a whole lot just by saying what i do. even if they didnt 100% believe me (which they usually didnt) it felt like i was saying i am way better than them because i have a super easy job and make 7 times as much as they do.

by then i got sick of talking about it all the time and really started to hate it. i try and avoid it all possible costs.

they other day was getting my hair cut (in a college town) and the guy is like "what are you doing this summer, taking classes?"
"eh, no"
"are you working?"
"ah, not really." i just tell him i am traveling, which is true.
"where?"
"DC, seattle, and vegas." (oh [censored]!)
"vegas really? do you gamble a lot, what are you plans? etc?"

by then he has this picture of me being a huge degen who loses tones of money. i really hate it when people think stuff like this when its not true so im stuck explaining my job to him for the next 25mins.

contrary to most of what i read in this thread people dont look down upon you usually, especially people my age. it us usually a positive experience, but yes they do ask lots of stupid questions.i try to aviod it thought just because its not worth it/ fun anymore.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

Location: \"If it shows their cards why did you keep betting?\"

[ QUOTE ]
when i first started playing i thought how cool it would be to be able to say "i play poker for a living"

a few months later when i got to that level it wasnt as cool as i thought it would have been. it felt like i was bragging a whole lot just by saying what i do. even if they didnt 100% believe me (which they usually didnt) it felt like i was saying i am way better than them because i have a super easy job and make 7 times as much as they do.

by then i got sick of talking about it all the time and really started to hate it. i try and avoid it all possible costs.

they other day was getting my hair cut (in a college town) and the guy is like "what are you doing this summer, taking classes?"
"eh, no"
"are you working?"
"ah, not really." i just tell him i am traveling, which is true.
"where?"
"DC, seattle, and vegas." (oh [censored]!)
"vegas really? do you gamble a lot, what are you plans? etc?"

by then he has this picture of me being a huge degen who loses tones of money. i really hate it when people think stuff like this when its not true so im stuck explaining my job to him for the next 25mins.

contrary to most of what i read in this thread people dont look down upon you usually, especially people my age. it us usually a positive experience, but yes they do ask lots of stupid questions.i try to aviod it thought just because its not worth it/ fun anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

people my age don't look down on me. older people (parents etc) do
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He didnt understand that just because there are 2 possible outcomes it does not neccessarily make the odds 50/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, what?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread, although fun as is, would have more potential if it turned into :

Stories of you telling some girl you play poker that ends up in sexycity.

Maybe this should be a new thread though, BBV4L.

[/ QUOTE ]

it will be a rather short thread
Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He didnt understand that just because there are 2 possible outcomes it does not neccessarily make the odds 50/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously don't understand what that means?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM

bump for telling people I play poker and them telling me about the 'crazy' $10 freezeout they play once a week with their fat old frat bros.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM

"damn son you got 20 geez online? you better cash that [censored] out quick!"
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM

it is more of a social thing . you can never hurt moving up or down a level. it helps u remember how some players approach the game