Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Baseball and College Football Card/Dice Game

[ QUOTE ]
Bowl Bound and Superstars of Baseball. The black die had 3 threes, 2 twos, and 1 one. I remember 34 was the most common number, 19 was the least. They came out with teams of the 70's, which I never played with, and teams of the 80's as well. It was such a great game, I am suprised they never made a teams of the 90's. I would think it would translate to the computer very well.

On a side note, when I was about 17, I had rattled off about 15 straight wins. Of course we gambled, so I had my friends ENTIRE baseball card collection within my reach. I had him against the wall with a 4 point lead going into the last play. Play 9 for LSU gets by the defense. He needs to roll a 30 or 38 or lose what's left of his collection. I'm talking a Sandberg rookie, a Canseco rookie, a Gooden rookie, plus many others. Of course he rolled the 38, then went on to win about 15 in a row himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was it when I read it, but it definitely is after seeing the pic.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:14 AM

Pursue the Pennant was another great card/dice baseball game in the '80's. It is now known as Diamond Mind Baseball and is a computer game. The computer version is a very realistic simulation game (no graphics).

I missed a lot of classes while in college playing the dice version.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 AM

I played Statis Pro baseball and football as a kid...then graduated to Strat-o-matic games, which are much more realistic. I still play Strat-o-matic (computer version, of course), and actually run a 24 team league with owners spread out throughout the country. Got a website and everything.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:02 PM

APBA Baseball is the original baseball board game. Statis Pro is like a watered down version of APBA, which is more realistic and managing is more important.

Plus, the APBA cards come in manilla envelopes with red writing. They look cool.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pursue the Pennant was another great card/dice baseball game in the '80's. It is now known as Diamond Mind Baseball and is a computer game. The computer version is a very realistic simulation game (no graphics).

I missed a lot of classes while in college playing the dice version.

[/ QUOTE ]

The card version of Persue the Pennant still exists. It's called Dynasty League. They have a computer version that plays exactly like the cards. My league that was created in 1988 is still alive and well!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Make sure you get the teams of the 80's. We should have a big 2+2 Bowl Bound tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM

I used to play lots of Statis pro games. The pro basketball one, decathalon (track and field) which was fun but Jim Thorpe always kicked everyone elses ass. But my favorite was Hall of Fame Baseball from the late 60's early 70's. It had 16 teams (8 AL and 8 NL) with all of the old time greats. I played entire 162 game seasons more than once keeping meticulous stats on each player. It was a real pitchers league. I remember in my first full season Honus Wagner lead all hitters with a weak .285 batting average, Babe Ruth was home run king with 35 and the St Louis Cardinals were the team that won it all.