Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Ruling? when does an allin cap a pot?

The following thread contains a HH from an Absolute Poker NL hand where a pot is capped by an allin even though the allin amount exceeded the previous raise. The BB was 100 and an EP put in 300 to the pot (is this considered a raise of 300 or 200?) a subsequent player shoved in his remaining 513 and that capped the pot.

If the original raise is considered 200 then the shove of 513 should keep the pot open since it is >200 chips.

I guess if the original raise is considered 300 then the capping is correct.

Would appreciate a clarification on this. Do all sites handle this situations the same way?

http://forum.absolutepoker.com/index...t=0#entry74717
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Ruling? when does an allin cap a pot?

you should be able to raise again
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM

"Raises $300 to $300" Based on this wording from the HH it looks like they consider it a $300 raise rather than $200. I have no idea why. But that makes the $513 all in bet an incomplete raise so you cannot reraise here.

I suggest you write to Absolute about this as it is clearly wrong.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM

I think you'll get more responses if you put this in Internet Gambling forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM

In NL the minimum raise is usually the size of the last bet - a min raise doubles the size of the last bet. In this case the bet was $300 meaning that the next bet has to be at least $600 with one exception: If there is a player with less than the minimum bet amount he may go AI without reopening the betting. I know this is how it works on AP cash and tourney play. I'm pretty sure it works the same way on other sites.

This makes perfect sense to me. Suppose player that pushed had $301 instead of $513. He should be able to put the extra $1 in without reopening the betting. Also, whether or not a player with less than the minimum bet amount pushes or not - he is effectively AI as he is getting a minimum of 3 to 1 to call on the next street (probably much better odds).

Lucky
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Is the bet really $300 is this case? There is a blind of $100, to call would be $100. He put $300 in the pot which to me is a raise of $200. Then a min raise would be an additional $200 or $500 in total. The guy pushed over $500 so I believe that the pot should still be open for a re-raise.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the bet really $300 is this case? There is a blind of $100, to call would be $100. He put $300 in the pot which to me is a raise of $200. Then a min raise would be an additional $200 or $500 in total. The guy pushed over $500 so I believe that the pot should still be open for a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an AP quirk. I think I recall there being at least one other site/network that does it this way. It's not very common, though.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 AM

If the all-in is not the size of the minimum raise then the betting has not been re-opened. So calling is the only option on that round of betting.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the all-in is not the size of the minimum raise then the betting has not been re-opened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

[ QUOTE ]
So calling is the only option on that round of betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But only because of the nonstandard size of the minimum raise on AP.