Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Default but i can beat a bluff...

do any of you find your selves calling big bets on the river with the idea, well i can beat a bluff. i feel like this is a big leak in my game.

"well he must have min raised the turn with that heart draw, and now hes shoving because he missed" when really im facing a flopped set or some other monster.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: but i can beat a bluff...

I used to have this kind of mentality. Dont know if it was a genuine belief that i was beating a bluff, or just curiosity. Easiest way to check what youre doing is right, is to look at your stats. If you are generally losing more than winning on calling big river bets then just stop doing it.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM

A lot of times if I saw someone make a unusual play I would put them on a bluff, most times I would run into the nuts or near to it, Make your money putting that question to the other guy, "is he bluffing, I can beat a bluff" and he calls with second pair weak kicker.

I did it last night and ran into a full house vs my 2nd pair, poker is a long road, unless the guy is a complete maniac 3 barreling most times no need to put ur money in beating a bluff.

Something that added to my problem with bluffs is that I was min raised in a pretty big pot with aj, I really didn't put the guy on better hand, more like a busted straight draw.

I called and I won, that entailed me to think anytime I was minraised I was ahead and would call or reraise and I've lost many of dollar because the one time I called the min raise with a high and won, stupid story hope there's a point.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM

I find that calling big river bets is a very slippery slope. Sometimes I will make one or two correct calls in a row and next thing I know I feel invincible. Once that happens I will start making too many of those calls and getting stacked when I shouldn't. Sometimes that can even lead to tilt for me.

There is definitely money to be made by making big calls on the river, but the key is to not get carried away with it. Still make the calls, but only against super aggro opponents in spots where you are almost positive.

-Jerry