Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If this went down, who would be champion of the monkey bars?
BobOjedaFan 4 40.00%
kyro 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Yes. Finally Busto, next step

Been playing a while now, last year or so been playing on ftp only in the $10-100max usually 6max. I've read hoh1, half of nltap and top, and green and blue book, along with a couple others. Played in my lifetime somewhere around 50k hands to 100k.

I've been basically a break even player this whole time, turning $10 into 1k on prima then losing it, then the last thing ive done was put 200 into ftp and lost that after 6 months of having br up to 600 a couple times and down to 20 a couple times.

I have PT and pahud, and also reviewing hands with pro friends and have learned a lot. I almost tried to go busto this time with only 20 in my account playing 10+1 turbo hu nl, turned that into 100, then played one table of 50max lost set of 10's to a set of Jacks. anwyays I have a job interview in a couple days and wanted to concentrate on that as when I have money in my account it's hard not to play a 6.50sng turbo 1 table or a couple tables of cash.

I have 100 bucks in rakeback coming in a couple of weeks and wanted to use this time to plug a leak or two and hopefully get out of this break even status.

I'm going to finish nltap and top, probably post a couple of hands from pt and see how badly I played them. I think about poker a lot, if it's a great play I made or a donktastic play it's usually on my mind a lot and I do love the game and the competition around it. Or do I just quit and waste the 6 years of playing and the countless hours studying the game and reading here?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to get some guidance to help me find my direction.

Still have to kill this interview and see what happens next.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Yes. Finally Busto, next step

I'm going to let you in on one of teh secrets. This, just by itself, is all you need to become a winning poker player. Are you ready?

Play with people who are worse than you at limits that you are bankrolled for. Now, go play pokerstars $5 buyin games and grind your way up.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM

I didnt vote because the poll is stupid.

When you said you been playing a while, I thought it was just a year. But 6 years???

The first thing I would do is stop reading poker books. Everything out there is not that great, and I believe there is way better ways to study the game. You should get a cardrunners account if you're going to be paying for anything, or even better a coach.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM

what Jam said and make sure you get rb - even for a micro-limit grinder it turns your break even streaks into a slight profit.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM

It sounds like you have major bankroll management issues. If I'm reading this right, you've never had your bankroll >$1,000 but you were playing NL100? And you were playing NL50 when your bankroll was down to $100? This is an easy way to go busto.

I'd take some time to relax while you wait for this $100 rakeback you're getting, and then really grind at some micro limits. I'm sure playing NL5 is like watching paint dry, but if you can beat the game then you can move up to NL10 in a few weeks. If you can't beat the game, then there's no reason to be playing NL50 or NL100.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM

I usually pick on tables with half buy ins and no one with really big stacks, usally i look at table vpip and pot size.

I might go back to pokerstars as I would imagine it would be a lot easier then ftp, but your right I do play to high for my br. Varience is a butch, and I need to grind, might have too much gamble in me and hate playing retarded people in the $5-10 buy in cash games along with the $2-5 sngs.

When I play live it's usually 2-5 and there I've done very well, I might do 5-10 next time I go to vegas if i continue my good play at 2/5.

Thanks for the advice and your a hundred percent correct, it just takes swallowing your pride and grinding it out at super low stakes to build a proper br, I need to understand that sacrifice and build on from there.

But one thing is that I feel I have a lot of tools to beat a lot of players and at the uber micros (5-10$) I feel like I have a hand tied behind my back, but again swallow my pride and take away the enjoyment and there you have br management.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to let you in on one of teh secrets. This, just by itself, is all you need to become a winning poker player. Are you ready?

Play with people who are worse than you at limits that you are bankrolled for. Now, go play pokerstars $5 buyin games and grind your way up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 PM

[x] Deposit your first month's paycheck if you continue running bad [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Closed Thread