Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: 2008 Seahawks

i think their wr corps has taken a step back, but we'll see. darrell jackson may not have been mentally tough, but he was decent/pretty good. he just dogged it/faked injuries last season b/c he knew that their ceiling as a team was NFC West div champs. imo branch is overrated/the corps is strong enough as a whole to make up for the loss of stevens.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think their wr corps has taken a step back, but we'll see. darrell jackson may not have been mentally tough, but he was decent/pretty good. he just dogged it/faked injuries last season b/c he knew that their ceiling as a team was NFC West div champs. imo branch is overrated/the corps is strong enough as a whole to make up for the loss of stevens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither Jackson or Stevens could catch a ball. Jack wasn't 'pretty damn good'. His stats were padded a bit because he was on a heavy passing team. Any other main receiver in the NFL would've done a helluva lot better. Especially on the wide open passes that he dropped time and time again. Should've gotten rid of him about 3 years ago when Robinson went.

But in good Seachicken tradition, I'm sure both these idiots will make the probowl this year. Irks me that Stevens is a Buc.

b
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 AM

You act like D. Jackson's % catches were that low the last couple of years.

Last year they were 56%. League high for 50 min was 71%
Year before 69%. League high was 71%.
Year before 56%. League high was 75%.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
D-Jack just hasn't been the same since that concussion/almost getting his head knocked off.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QB: Matt played hurt
RB: Shaun missed a ton of time and played hurt

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting people back healthy is not what I meant by improving your squad, but yeah it helps. But other people will get hurt, it's the NFL.

[ QUOTE ]
LB: Young core of LBs v. likely to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peterson is not young. Lofa regressed in his second year, so why is it likely that he will get better?

[ QUOTE ]
And I can make arguments why the OL and WR core will be better. The only real drop off is at the TE spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why will the OL be better? Walter Jones is not getting any younger.

WR might actually be better because Hackett is really underrated, but very good 3rd/4th recievers don't always make good starters (think Greg Lewis).

But again, the point is that Seattle hasn't really improved their squad much. They've made some marginal improvements. But compare that to San Fran and Arizona, who on paper look MUCH better this year, and consider that Seattle wasn't any good last year to begin with, and their schedule is harder..... I mean how is this a 12-4 team?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mysteriously skipped over a couple of Dids' points. Namely, that the defense should be significantly upgraded. Two new starting safeties, Kearney in for the utterly useless Wistrom, Tubbs back, and some more DL depth.

I don't think people who don't follow football/Seahawks realize just how much they missed Shaun and Matt. If they keep healthy and get ANYTHING from their new ancient TE, the offense should be a hell of a lot better as well. Branch has a full year with team/offense/scheme, Burleson has another year under his belt to start understanding the scheme, and DJ Hackett will get some more looks. Also- don't forget that Matt's safety blanket (Bobby Engram) missed 9 or 10 games last year. They were just beat to hell. Just getting healthy would be a huge improvement over last year.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think people who don't follow football/Seahawks realize just how much they missed Shaun and Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people that do follow it realize how much they really missed a solid OL.

b
Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Do you Seahawks really think SA will return to his older form. He's about to hit the magic 30 year number which is killer for most RBs. A thing of note was his backup who was very good the season previously, wasn't very good last year and he wasn't hurt. Yes the O-line should be healthier but the lack of a truly dominant side is still going to slow the team down.

Matt should be back. But it's still going to be much tougher without a truly dominant running game which was pretty much due to a truly dominant o-line. SA is good but their left side was rediculous for about 5 years.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I act like I've watched the games where he repeatedly drops easy balls. That one down the sideline at about the 10 yard line, right in his arms with no one around was just a beaut. Those stats also don't show the easy ones he bobbled and damn near dropped. I haven't seen that unsure of hands on a prime receiver in a long time. Year in and year out. He'd make a great CB.

His stats really aren't that impressive for a prime receiver on a passing team. Branch and Hackett were easily better, imo. Good riddance to him. That's one guy we'll be able to single cover when we play SF. Even that might be more coverage than needed.

b
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you Seahawks really think SA will return to his older form.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean his contract year form, or the years where he had a great line? Still couldn't pass block.

I'm sure he'll be at his turf-flopping, only run hard inside the 10, best this year.

b
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Go check out footballoutsiders you act like every great WR in the league is catching 70% of the balls thrown to him. 60% and up is really, really good for most WR.

You act like the 9ers are really WR dependant. All we need is DJ to be an upgrade over our former #1 Bryant. Our team is a running team. We just need the WR base to be more effective then it's been which shouldn't be too hard. Nobody is calling DJ the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice, but he's expected to fill a solid role.