Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 PM

Default defending little blind when structure is 2 chip, 3 chip.

Hi
It’s been over a year since I posted on this particular forum, so I’m sorry if this is a redundant question.

I need a general defending range for the small blind in a 2 chip, 3 chip structure game. In normal blind structures, I just 3 bet or fold the little blind against a stealer with hands like any pocket pair, Qjo, A8o, etc.

When defending the big blind, I’ll call a steal raiser with hands like 34s, 86o, 64s, etc. It seems like when my little blind is 2/3's of the big blind, that I ought to be able to call with a range looser than what I would 3 bet with, but tighter then my loosest defense range in the big blind.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Re: defending little blind when structure is 2 chip, 3 chip.

wait what is in your loc?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:27 AM

wait why is this thread double?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 AM

I think this mostly depends on the BB. In a normal blind structure, you're wanting to 3bet because your equity is higher HU than 3 handed with pretty much every hand you would consider defending the SB with, so you want to raise to try to isolate the stealer. With the 2/3 structure, you're going to want to defend a wider range of hands (probably around 30% or more(I haven't done the math tho)) and you're going to want to put in a raise if you have a good chance of shutting out the BB. If the BB adjusts to your wide 3betting range and he starts CCing or capping light, you're probably going to want to start cold calling your weaker suited hands that play well multiway. Once you start cold calling, you're going to want to flat call sometimes with AA, KK, and AKs for balance.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Same range to defend vs a raise, 3 bet and force the bb out as you would in the normal structure. To 3 bet or fold you need a fairly big hand to play in the first place, the good news is when you do win you'll win slightly more money. The difference in this structure is that you defend with virtually any 2 cards against limpers and of course, as you state above, you can defend the bb slightly more liberally.