Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Anyone else made enemies in local cards rooms?

I'm playing my normal live 2/5 nl game. I'm in the BB. It's folded around to the small blind and he calls. It's a little abnormal (chopping has pretty much become standard at the 2/5 level), but I don't mind. If he likes to play, that's certainly his right.

I win the hand and try to clarify the situation. (I'm just trying to be clear that if we didn't chop then, we are never going to chop.)

"So, you never chop?" I ask. Out of nowhere, the guy starts calling me an idiot and saying that it was a stupid question to ask because we had just played a heads-up hand. After a brief argument about manners, I put on my headphones and dismiss the guy as a bitter [censored] who's just mad that he lost the pot.

While my headphones are on, the [censored] doesn't think I can hear him and he starts telling a friend of his at the table that he has a roommate that will pay him $50 to stack me. I have no idea who the [censored]'s roommate is. (The [censored] had obviously been trying to tilt me before in an attempt to collect a some bounty that his roommate put on my head.)

I leave after another 30 minutes because I'm a little weirded out by the situation.

Yes, I play poker almost everyday and yes, I'm sure there are some people that I've won money from in the past year, but this kind of vendetta coming from someone who isn't even on my radar is new to me.

Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen to them? Is it anything to worry about?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Anyone else made enemies in local cards rooms?

I wouldn't worry about it. There's one guy at my room that will chase me into almost every pot I enter because I ran really sick against him like a year ago. He calls me luckbox. Whatever. If anything it just means you get some more loose action.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 AM

I have received death threats on my home voice mail. Also a few years ago at the WSOP a weird thing happened. I was going up the escalator (this was back when the WSOP was downtown) and someone coming down start walking up the down escalator to talk to me and asks "do you remember me?" I say "no" and he says "good" and that was the last I heard from him.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:19 AM

About 3 weeks ago I was playing $5/10NL at the Borgata and I picked up AA utg. I limped cuz it was a loose game and I knew someone would raise and that the couple of players I didn't want in the hand would fold after my reraise putting me on AA. #rd to act makes it $40 to go, 3 callers including the BB. I make it $225. Everyone inc;uding original raiser folds except the BB who reraises to $400. I immediately put in my whole stack of about $1800 and he insta calls. Flop is 7 8 2 rainbow and he turn over 7 8s. Turn is a deuce I flip over my better 2 pair river is a 7 and I say NH and ask for chips. I'm steaming inside cuz I have been the tightest player at the table for 4 hour and everone except this guy knows it, or so I think. Without any prompting on my part he says "I knew you had aces or kings but I knew if I got the right flop I could stack you." I laugh and reminded him that all the money went in preflop and he says "Yea well one time at such & such club you called my all in preflop with 10 10 and flopped a set and busted me when I had KK. Sick thing is that I actually remembered the hand but not the guy and it happened over 4 years ago and it was a $30 w/ $20 rebuys 2 table tourney. The guy fumed when it happened and called me a fish and I told him that I spent a lil time up north and a fish is a guy who gets banged in the hiney and that if he said another word I was gonna show him what it felt like to be a fish. I know, it was in poor taste but I thought it was pretty rude of him and he wa a typical NJ or CT guy livin or playin in NYC whose mouth was writing checks he couldn't cash. Also, the way the hand played out I was getting 4:1 he was short stacked blah blah blah so I didn't do anything wrong. He shut his mouth and left the club and this guy has probably waited 4 years for any opportunity to show me that he wasn't scared of me lol lol lol.....I just repeated "nice hand" and laughed it off. On a brighter note He lost about $2000 back to me when I turned a str8 flush vs his A high flush and he paid me off. It was the second hand I played in the 3 hours since he stacked me and again he was the only player at the table who didn't seem to notice. Go figure.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:54 AM

I've been threatened to have "my ass kicked when I leave" a couple of times in AC.....once at the Showboat and once at the Taj.........never seem to see the guys when I actually leave.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:07 AM

F'd up story, 1st dealing job in AC:

Facing a $40 river bet, this guy throws out $40 with one hand, then says raise and pushes in the rest of his chips, way too long a delay to be a legit raise. Of course I tell him he can't do that, as do the other players. Guy is throwing a hissy fit when floor tells him how it is, and he turns over the nuts and is in full dumbass mode now.

At this point the rule has been explained and for some reason he doesn't think it should apply to him because "we never play like that anywhere else" (lol).

Anyway, I was called a kike, and warned not to walk alone through the parking lot.

Notes:

1) I am about 6 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier, and maybe 20 years younger than guy who made threat

2) I am not at all jewish, or jewish looking

Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 AM

No, you don't have to worry about [censored], maybe in Detroit or LA though, esp if they look like legit gangsta material
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going up the escalator (this was back when the WSOP was downtown) and someone coming down start walking up the down escalator to talk to me and asks "do you remember me?" I say "no" and he says "good" and that was the last I heard from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is extra creepy.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have received death threats on my home voice mail. Also a few years ago at the WSOP a weird thing happened. I was going up the escalator (this was back when the WSOP was downtown) and someone coming down start walking up the down escalator to talk to me and asks "do you remember me?" I say "no" and he says "good" and that was the last I heard from him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or so you think...
Old 10-13-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm a strong willed person who's not afraid to say what he thinks. (Some would call me an [censored].) I'm also openly gay. Yeah, I draw hatred. Eh. I pick my spots.