Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh don't give him more than 2 years... AHHHHHH

seriously he will most likely be very mediocre as a closer in 2010

37 over 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? There's no salary cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

because if he's under contract he's the closer... 2010 he won't be that great (in all likely hood)

did u ever read my post... your post backed up my point without you even realizing it

[/ QUOTE ]

If Rivera is throwing meatballs and getting shelled, do you really think he's going to be the closer in 2010? It's the same thing w/ Posada. They gave him a 4th year in the contract. Do you really think he will be catching 130 games a year when he is 40? Of course not. But in order to have both of them for the next 2 years, the Yankees had to pay the piper.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

37 over 2

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because if he's under contract he's the closer... 2010 he won't be that great (in all likely hood)

did u ever read my post... your post backed up my point without you even realizing it

[/ QUOTE ]

If Rivera is throwing meatballs and getting shelled, do you really think he's going to be the closer in 2010? It's the same thing w/ Posada. They gave him a 4th year in the contract. Do you really think he will be catching 130 games a year when he is 40? Of course not. But in order to have both of them for the next 2 years, the Yankees had to pay the piper.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he's not throwing meatballs... what if he's slightly below leauge average closer on the books for 15 mil... he'll still be the closer and it will be very frustrating...theres no way they demote him from closer as long as he keeps his E.R.A under 7 (if he was that bad, he'd prolly just retire)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

37 over 2

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he's not throwing meatballs... what if he's slightly below leauge average closer on the books for 15 mil... he'll still be the closer and it will be very frustrating...theres no way they demote him from closer as long as he keeps his E.R.A under 7 (if he was that bad, he'd prolly just retire) if he was that bad, he'd prolly just retire

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Personally, as a Yankee fan; I don't give a rat's ass how much they make. They can pay Jeter $5/game and Shelley Duncan $500,000,000. Just as long as they have the best possible team on the field.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

37 over 2

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he's not throwing meatballs... what if he's slightly below leauge average closer on the books for 15 mil... he'll still be the closer and it will be very frustrating...theres no way they demote him from closer as long as he keeps his E.R.A under 7 (if he was that bad, he'd prolly just retire) if he was that bad, he'd prolly just retire

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Personally, as a Yankee fan; I don't give a rat's ass how much they make. They can pay Jeter $5/game and Shelley Duncan $500,000,000. Just as long as they have the best possible team on the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no reading comprehension at all.... I wanted to pay him more per year, but for two years... It is worth it to pay a little more and not commit to him for 2010.... this would give the yankees a better chance to have a better team on the field... and hey if he's still lookin like mariano come november 2009... extend his contract another year... by signing him to a 3 year deal you are committing to him being the closer in 2010... this POTENTIALLY could be HORRIBLE
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

37 over 2

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no reading comprehension at all.... I wanted to pay him more per year, but for two years... It is worth it to pay a little more and not commit to him for 2010.... this would give the yankees a better chance to have a better team on the field... and hey if he's still lookin like mariano come november 2009... extend his contract another year... by signing him to a 3 year deal you are committing to him being the closer in 2010... this POTENTIALLY could be HORRIBLE

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree there, looking at Rivera's numbers.

Some things that worked against Rivera last season - bad luck. He gave up 25 runs, all of them earned. His WHIP was 1.121, and I am sure that opponents' BABIP was higher than expected. There has been almost no signs of aging in Rivera's game - he walked 12 and struck out 74 in 71 and a third innings. I do not think committing three years to pitcher who has basically had the same season the last 5 years now is a mistake.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 AM

I think Rivera is an anomaly when it comes to pitching. Ironically, even though he throws only one pitch and it it goes 94, he's a lot like Greg Maddux. Rivera gets away (read dominates) with one pitch because he locates it unbelievably well. 12 walks in 71 innings is the norm for him and even if he loses a few MPH, he's still gonna be really good because his location, like Maddux, will not desert him.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 AM

On WABC (TV, NY), they just said that Pettitte is reversing course and considering a return to the Astros? I haven't seen this anywhere else... anyone?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 AM

Rivera is a [censored] machine, like the T-1000. He looked awesome in the ALDS, just disgusting in the game where the Indians clinched it. He really hasn't shown signs of wearing down, at least from what i've seen. I wouldn't be too worried about giving someone like him, who's shown the ability to throw inning after inning after inning without missing a step, a 4 year deal even considering his age.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rivera is a [censored] machine, like the T-1000. He looked awesome in the ALDS, just disgusting in the game where the Indians clinched it. He really hasn't shown signs of wearing down, at least from what i've seen. I wouldn't be too worried about giving someone like him, who's shown the ability to throw inning after inning after inning without missing a step, a 4 year deal even considering his age.

[/ QUOTE ]
he had alot of games this year where he looked like todd jones
Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he had alot of games this year where he looked like todd jones

[/ QUOTE ]

In the beginning of the season certainly I suppose. I dont have access to YES so I dont get much of a chance to watch Yankees games. How common was it this season?