Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: How much does someone make for being sponsored by a poker site?

[ QUOTE ]
Care to explain where you're getting such information?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, but really, what would be the point? Somebody will just flame away, claiming I'm talking out of my butt--I'd like to think that my posts are credible, given that they're written in English (a dying language on most online forums), and try to convey decent information (or ask a reasonable question) in a cogent fashion. Let us also not forget that this is NVG, after all--probably the most "caveat emptor"-like forum in all of 2+2.

Let's just say that I have a lot of friends who work for/with the online sites, primarily at 'Stars--this is why I was able to shed more light on the Moneymaker/Raymer/Hachem situation, than I could concerning the FTP sponsored players.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7 million is a bit high sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain where you're getting such information?

[/ QUOTE ]
I got my information from Common Sense due to a logical comparison to the market value on endorsements deals of major to mid major US athletes / Celebs.

7 Million Dollars for only one year is an extremely lucrative deal.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Steel Wheel,

I wasn't talking about your post, I was talking to the guy questioning it. It's awesome to see posts like yours around nvg.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Steel Wheel,

I wasn't talking about your post, I was talking to the guy questioning it. It's awesome to see posts like yours around nvg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allen Iverson 10million per year, Reebok
Michael Jordon 9.4 million per year, Nike
Kobe Bryant 8million per year, Nike
Joe the poker player 7million a year, PokerStars???????

We may all believe poker is big b/c we play, but overall poker is nothing compared to other sports. Stars is the largest site and it only has about 50,000 - 100,000 playing on it at a given moment WORLD WIDE.

Sorry, but I have a very hard time buying a $7,000,000 a year deal for a guy who won the WSOP.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 AM

It has been well documented on previous posts that FTP Pros get $35/hr and 100% rakeback.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It has been well documented on previous posts that FTP Pros get $35/hr and 100% rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think PS makes business in the way FT does.
FT stakes their pros (they have lots) while PS just pays their entry (but they only have a few pros)
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM

lol@7 million. Where do you idiots come from?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 AM

athletes have much more exposure, but i would guess stars makes 10-15 times as much money as nike for every person that is persuaded into choosing their brand

hachem making 7 million doesnt seem unreasonable to me at face value
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 AM

@Butcho: No problem, thanks for the vote of confidence.

@ChiTown: $7 Million was the number as reported to me. Why is this so hard to believe? This year, FullTilt was offering $10 Million to any player who won a satellite on their site, and went on to win the main event. As the field thinned down to the final table with few online qualifiers actually making it to the end, the guerilla warfare ensued on the part of all the online sites, trying to cut sponsorship deals with the remaining players. It has been widely reported (or gossip-mongered) that FTP entered into an agreement with Jerry Yang at some point shortly before the final table began, which would pay him on a sliding scale (depending on final finish), in amounts very similar to those advertised by FTP in its original WSOP promotion.

btw, this guerilla warfare was common throughout the WSOP this year, especially for the televised final tables.

Additional caveat about the FTP $10 Million promotion in general: If the info about this past year's WSOP is still around on their website, take a look at the fine print carefully. Their promotion had a stated value of $10 Mil if an FTP online qualifier won the main event. The fine print was interesting--if you did win, the payout was offered as $1 Million a year for ten years. Additionally, the lucky winner had to agree to play a certain number of hours per week (or month--I forget which), in order to continue to receive the payout.

These terms were part of the reason why I mostly played 'Stars qualifiers, rather than FTP: I thought it unlikely that FTP (or any of the online sites) would still be around in anything resembling their current form in 10 years' time, so one might not end up getting even the full payout of whatever $10 Mil in 2007 dollars would be worth by 2016.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard it was 7million also....
But dont forget he has to clear 15X bonus in FPPs base to get it =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough love