Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Check behind with outs?

I haven't noticed anything special about this guy, but he seems loose. I saw him iso-raise someone with KTo once and then call down to the river with overcards (spiking a K on the river) after getting check-raised on the flop. He's probably a little loose and likes to see the river.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Should I check the turn? How about the river bet?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Check behind with outs?

That T hit so many of his peeling hands and getting c/r'ed sucks a lot so I check the turn.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM

I think I'd check behind the turn and fold river UI since we don't have any showdown value. He's gonna peel the turn with a lot of hands. Seems like he would probably call down any ace here too. The pot is small, so I'd take the free card. Also getting CRed is pretty brutal.

As played, I'm not so sure about the river. The pot is pretty small, minus rake you've got to get him to fold like 20% of the time. He's not folding a pair, and you beat most straight draw/diamond combos. I would say it comes down to whether or not he folds A high, which seems unlikely given your read. I'd check this behind too and hope he has something like 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6
Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't noticed anything special about this guy, but he seems loose. I saw him iso-raise someone with KTo once and then call down to the river with overcards (spiking a K on the river) after getting check-raised on the flop. He's probably a little loose and likes to see the river.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Should I check the turn? How about the river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to put your opponent on a hand here. He called the flop with something. He probably does not have two overcards since he probably would have re-raised preflop with AK or AQ. If he had a flush draw, it got there. If he had a straight draw, like 98 (the only straight draw I see), it got there. He would have had a draw with T9 also, but that makes a pair on the turn. So he probably has a pair. If he called the flop and turn with his pair, there is no reason he is going to fold when this 6 hits on the river.

Only thing I see him staying with is maybe the Ace of diamonds with an unpaired rag. He perhaps stays to see the river when he picks up the flush draw on the turn. But there aren't many other hands that would have called the flop and turn and that will now fold.

In short, I see no value to the river bet. There is not a worse hand that calls and few (if any) better hands that fold.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 PM

why bet the river? if he has the K or A of diamonds he may look you up (based on your read) and if he was just peeling and trying to hit a flush with a worse diamond than Q-high is good. I don't see you really bluffing out enough hands on the river to warrant the bet.

checking behind the turn is fine, but you also have a ton of outs and if you get him to fold an A or K high on the turn that would be great. so even if you get c/r'd on the turn it isn't a disaster.

I like the turn bet, but I just check down the river and hope he shows me crap with a diamond.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM

I bet the turn for sure. people peel with all sorts of crap on paired boards and we have pretty good equity anyways

I'd bet the river hoping to fold out K8 K9 KQ and maybe Ax with a diamond
Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn for sure. people peel with all sorts of crap on paired boards and we have pretty good equity anyways

I'd bet the river hoping to fold out K8 K9 KQ and maybe Ax with a diamond

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking the whole way.