View Poll Results: Hero's flop action?
Check/fold 4 8.51%
Check/call 23 48.94%
Check/raise 12 25.53%
Lead 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: SSNL, what\'s your story?

I guess i'm in life limbo myself like a lot of you have said already. I just immigrated to the States a couple months ago and don't even have the paperwork sorted that allows me to work yet, so I guess I currently play poker to support my family as an only way out for now. Not that i'd be going out looking for work as poker is being kind to me and i've met some friends through 2p2 that have taken me under their wing and helped me with my poker.

I've been playing poker to support myself for over a year now but really just getting by, but it has helped a lot with flights and all the costs that go with immigrating and flying my wife over to South Africa to visit me back in the day.

I guess for now i'm gonna stick with poker until my wife finishes her RN nursing course at which point i'll probably look to study something myself but i'm not quite sure what yet. A lot depends on my financial situation when that time comes. I'm 25 and file like i've missed the boat with going to school, I dont want to be 30 years old and sitting in a classroom...am I too old??!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 AM

for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 25 and file like i've missed the boat with going to school, I dont want to be 30 years old and sitting in a classroom...am I too old??!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. I'm 26 here and [still] going to school. I'm also rarely the oldest person in my classes. You'll almost always have a couple of 30-40 year old guys in each class who decided to just learn something new. There's a 45 year old lady who is not only enrolled in the class but also regularly attends student organized study sessions for one of my classes this semester. It's a bit unusual but not awkward in the least.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 AM

I'm 22 and have about 2 years of school left, and havent been in school for almost a year now. I'm playing semi pro right now and have a good amount of money saved up from playing and I'm playing nl400/600 now.

I have a part time job that pays salary and full benefits, that is really nothing more than watching over employees and hanging out in an office, so its been pretty hard to justify quitting because its really no stress money, but I have come to the point where quitting soon seems very reasonable. I plan on quitting some time early next year, and doing a lot of traveling and moving to the west coast.

Poker takes a lot of time and effort, but has been VERY rewarding and worthwhile so far. I still have some things i want to figure out about my direction in life, but Im really happy where im at right now. As of now I have no plans of going back to school.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for all u grinders who "work" at the tables, how many hands a week do u typically put in? how long have u been playing for? And whats a normal week/month in terms of buyins won/lost (dont lie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 6bb winner and try to get 15k hands in a week
Old 11-18-2007, 02:59 AM

HEy I really like this thread since I have some life issues too hahaha.

Im currently 21 and finishing my last year in college as a mechanical engineer. I currently intern at a company but the work is pretty boring and tedious at times. I play 200-600NL recently 400nl and have been earning a decent clip. GIven that I found my self with several options this comming summer and I'm leaning towards traveling to Japan, thailand, europe, etc building a good roll for investing and moving on to that.

Did u guys know u may qualify for a 80k tax break if u play outside the US when you file with the IRS [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

But ya i want to ride this out when I get a chance to play to build a roll for investing (the poker game of life @_@)
Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 AM

I'M THE DOG, THE BIG BAD DOG.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 AM

i play 1/2, plan on being a teacher, junior in college. i play about 20-30k hands/month.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:39 AM

Just graduated from school this past summer, been playing poker for about 4 years but gradually more seriously for the past year or so. Currently play 200 nl but only for 10-15 hrs per week. I work at an investment banking firm, so that takes up the majority of my time.

Do I ever see poker as a full-time job? No. But it's sure nice to come home and make some nice money on the side, plus I enjoy the competitive and mental aspect that poker provides. Don't plan on giving up poker anytime soon, but hours will obviously be affected by what's going on at work. I enjoy the game, and probably will continue to play as long as it interests me.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 25 and file like i've missed the boat with going to school, I dont want to be 30 years old and sitting in a classroom...am I too old??!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. I'm 26 here and [still] going to school. I'm also rarely the oldest person in my classes. You'll almost always have a couple of 30-40 year old guys in each class who decided to just learn something new. There's a 45 year old lady who is not only enrolled in the class but also regularly attends student organized study sessions for one of my classes this semester. It's a bit unusual but not awkward in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, in my head I always thought its college right after high school or never. I guess I won't feel awkward being that old in a classroom after all. Still gotta decide what to study tho..blah i still got time to worry about that