Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Two interesting hands from today\'s $2500 @ Bellagio

Hand 1: Mys tack is 5600 or so, villain has 5k to start. 50/100 blinds.

Heros image is nitty and taggish with only one hand shown down, a 3bet in position with jacks that checked three streets on a AA655 board.

Villains image is also kinda nitty, but hes asian. I say "but" because people insist on saying asians will be more aggro and maybe spewy than their occidental counterparts. He has had one hand of note that did not get shown down where he flatcalled an EP raise from middle position, called a flop continuation bet in a multiway spot on a J9x board, threeway on a blank turn and they both checked to him and he potted and they folded. Thats all I have on him.

Anyways I open XX in the cutoff to 300, villain defends his BB.

Flop comes Ad Tx 3x. He checks and I check behind

Turn is the 8d, now a flushdraw. He checks, I bet 350 and he shoves for 4600 total rather quickly, placing his hand around his one stack of chips and placing it inside the line*.

What is your minimum hand to call with here?

----------------------------

Hand 2

Villain is 2 to my right and originally seemed like a live donk, but then he made a good laydown with trips in a multiway pot. Flop 663, villain checks BB bets, thayer raises, villain flatcalls, BB makes a smallish reraise, thayer shoves, villain folds a six, BB folds jacks lol.

Then he said out loud how he had read shannon shorrs blog (shannon was @ the table) and he knew who thayer was. Combined this with the fact he looks 23 or so and I assume now hes a good player. His attempt to steal blinds seems really high, and in the last orbit or so my image is getting a lot more aggressive. He made it 300 OTB, weak player in SB called and I made it 1300 and they both folded. Then I had my JJ hand, then *hand 1* and then 2 hands later we're at hand 2.

My image now may be more erratic, but I'd like to think still solid since I havent shown down a weak holding yet.

Folds to villain in MP who makes it 300, and I have TT in the hijack with 4800 effective. I think I have a lot of options here, but I elect to reraise to 925 with the intentions of folding if he snapshoves, and stacking off if he tanks and shoves or if he makes a funny sized fourbet.

Also consider that there is 15 minutes left in the 50/100 level, and the next level is 100/200 where I would have 4k if I folded. Kinda bitchy structure at this venture.

So anyways, he makes it 2400 and I tank and stick it in. Thoughts?

ty in advance
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Two interesting hands from today\'s $2500 @ Bellagio

Hand #1 is fun, nice bet, sir. The worst hand I call with is 88, I'd fold 33 here. I'm a nit against massive overbets.

Hand #2 I don't like, I think a funny sized reraise is sooner strength than weakness, his range here has to be {QQ+, AK}, and I'd discount AK because I think he would just shove. I wrote this knowing the results.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Hand 1 is weird because a lot of really good hands aren't in my flop checking back range. A8 and T8 are both tough there and I don't know what to do.

Hand 2 given you have a nitty image I would probably flat the open and fold as played.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM

hand 1: set of 3.

hand 2: kinda hate it. does he ever do this with 99? i don't know. i haven't played in tournaments forever.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Its worth noting that in hand 2 he asked for a count and fiddled with his 500 dollar chips a few times.

Factoring that he is a thinking, prob online player, I figured it was AK a lot, but a range also including JJ+. But honestly it felt like AK 80% of the time just because he seemed like the exact player to think exactly on the 2nd level versus a thinking unknown and take the line with the most fold equity against a 1st level player with a hand better served to just shove.

I put myself in a nasty spot with the reraise, which is why I was curious who likes flatting preflop more. It was kinda hard because I felt like his preflop range with the raise was so high that not reraising was criminal. I hate full ring.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 PM

also in hand 1 I had A5spades, so obviously never calling ever however I will check back this flop with a lot of my strong hands on this kind of texture and the fact i raised from the cutoff and he defended. i cbet with a lower frequency than most good tournament players.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Hand 1: AT probably.
Hand 2: I'd flat the raise, unless you read him for being able to 4bet lightly. If that's not the case, and since if we get 4bet we won't really like it, given stacks I think flatting is much better since villain will mostly likely fold or shove if we 3bet.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Hand 1: I think I call T8 fairly happily
Hand 2: I just call his raise, but given that I 3bet, I fold happily to his 4 bet
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM

I call A8 in the first hand and I call it pretty damn fast.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM

I call A8 in hand 1
I flat hand 2 and fold as played.