Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Default FTP 24+2 Bluffing the River Am I really bad?

I have been somewhat active, recently showing down a hand where there were two limpers, and I rasied in BB. Bet out flop and was called with 66 on somewhat scary board by a complete idiot donkey. Is this a spew? I mean, he literally instacalled.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 150/300 Blinds, 25 Ante, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP1: 6,590
MP2: 10,055
CO: 10,085
BTN: 6,675
Hero (SB): 10,180
BB: 10,955
UTG: 5,150
UTG+1: 9,345
UTG+2: 7,520

Pre-Flop: (675) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 300, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 1,300</font>, MP2 calls 1,000

Flop: (3,125) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks

Turn: (3,125) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 1,800</font>, MP2 calls 1,800

River: (6,725) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 7,055 and is All-In</font>, MP2 calls 6,930 and is All-In

Results: 20,585 Pot
MP2 showed T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Tens) and WON 20,585 (+10,530 NET)
Hero showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Ace King high) and LOST (-10,055 NET)
Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: FTP 24+2 Bluffing the River Am I really bad?

I don't like this line against the type of player open limping a hand like Q10o. The fact that he has limped, then cold called ur raise, then called the turn signals that he is in defensive mode and doesnt believe you.

I don't mind the action up untill the river, I probably would have just given up against a player who judging just from the prior action in this hand seems like a calling station. I like the bet sizes pre-flop and on the turn though.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this line against the type of player open limping a hand like Q10o.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key, this lets you know you're up against a station and he doesn't like to fold. Don't bluff the calling stations!

Also, your post talks about what you have been doing, but gives us no details on villain. Is he the station we all assume him to be?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM

personally, i think the flop check was the mistake.

he didn't believe you hit that king, and afterwards,
he saw no scare card to put you on a better pair.

i think, however, the all-in call was a tad maniacal.

the 4xBB PF bet -- maybe a little high with that hand.

( imho )
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Against a world class player you were representing a set of kings but to a donk calling station it smelled like a bluff the whole way. I would have bet out 2000 on the flop and represented AK vs. possible drawing hand. If you get called there check it down and hope for an ace on the river. It is usually a bad idea to bluff if you have been active lately and not showing down premium hands. You didnt say what hand you recently showed down but were beat by 66 on a scary board. Did you get caught bluffing recently and then went on tilt?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

I don't mind the raise preflop except for the fact that it was going to force you to play the flop OOP with a marginal hand against a limp\caller. Was this his normal style or did he usually come in raising? Also I would've led with C Bet on this flop of ~1750 or so. Depending on his postflop play he may have folded QT there. If he doesn't you could probably assume that ace high is no good. Then I would check\fold the rest of the way unless an A lands. If you do hit your ace you could check\call since your 9 isn't a very strong kicker.

Edit: On a side note if you don't post results to the HH you could get better discussion.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, against fish when you check the flop you dont have a K which means his T is good.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, against fish when you check the flop you dont have a K which means his T is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, his ten was good. He made a great call on the river, maybe we can give him some credit and not just call him a donk/fish that couldn't lay down middle pair.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all fairness, his ten was good. He made a great call on the river, maybe we can give him some credit and not just call him a donk/fish that couldn't lay down middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is the villain played this hand very much like a calling station / fish. Limp call, check, call, call. There is no real way villain could have a good idea what our hero was holding here, so yes I would categorize him as a donk / fish / calling station.

Secondly, I really like the flop check against this type of player for the simple reason that if he has a K,10,qj or diamonds he's not going anywhere. He didn't call pre-flop with q10o to just give up on a k10x flop, i can gaurantee that. So why bloat a pot with no hand out of position against a calling station and make this situation even tougher?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:54 PM

Agreed except if you are going to check the flop you should check the turn also. What makes the bluff better on the turn vs the flop?