Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM

Default flopped straight, go broke on turn despite 3-flush?

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 7 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG+1: 5,550
Hero (MP): 3,840
CO: 5,885
BTN: 2,470
SB: 3,020
BB: 5,330
UTG: 610

Pre-Flop: (75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 175</font>, CO calls 175, BTN calls 175, 2 folds

Flop: (600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)
<font color="red">Hero bets 400</font>, CO calls 400, BTN folds

Turn: (1,400) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
<font color="red">Hero bets 1,000</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to 5,310 and is All-In</font>
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: flopped straight, go broke on turn despite 3-flush?

Folding pre usually, but that flop makes me feel a lot better about it. Flop, not sure exactly how to bet the nut hand with this drawy board but I'd probably bet the same; your hand is disguised well. On the turn its tough. I thought to consider checking and reevaluate based on CO's move, but that might've been influenced by showing that CO reraised; can't say for sure now. =)
Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 PM

fist pump call
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM

sure you're beat sometimes but there's nothing you can do but snap call.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:36 PM

I think you have no choice but to call here. This isn't a snap call to me but a tough spot. Do you have any reads on this player? Is he making the flop call with just a flush draw or even AK? Looking at your chip stack, you could consider folding as an option. Folding leaves you with around 2.3k and relatively small blinds so you still have room to play. Tough spot here, but I think I still call.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Fold preflop.

Otherwise, I play it the same, and call Villian's turn shove.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding pre usually

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had shown down big starting hands (KK twice and QQ once) when it came to showdown, and I hadn't been playing many hands. Thought these were good conditions to vary my play and mix it up with suited gap connectors.

[ QUOTE ]
but that flop makes me feel a lot better about it. Flop, not sure exactly how to bet the nut hand with this drawy board but I'd probably bet the same; your hand is disguised well.

[/ QUOTE ]
on the flop, i wanted to bet enough to give draws incorrect price to play with me. i also hoped my betting might represent an overpair or semi-bluff fd / gutshot (i.e., JT)

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn its tough. I thought to consider checking and reevaluate based on CO's move, but that might've been influenced by showing that CO reraised; can't say for sure now. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really consider checking the turn. I still have a strong hand that is beating trips or a strong diamond draw. wanted them to pay to see the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have no choice but to call here. This isn't a snap call to me but a tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
definitely not a snap call imo, getting less than 2.5:1. i am drawing dead against a made flush, but ahead of the rest of villain's range. villain probably not on a complete bluff on this board, but a semi-bluff is very possible

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any reads on this player? Is he making the flop call with just a flush draw or even AK?

[/ QUOTE ]
Few reads. Villain hasn't played many hands, called down small bets with middle pair one hand, cbet another flop and that is about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at your chip stack, you could consider folding as an option. Folding leaves you with around 2.3k and relatively small blinds so you still have room to play. Tough spot here, but I think I still call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding was an option, but I think I have enough equity against his range that I have to call.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 PM

It is a tough spot, because this is a baby flush a lot that's scared of a 4th diamond. However, it could also be a set/2 pair hand scared of a 4th diamond or just something silly like Ad9x or something. Anyway, I think you have to call the shove considering it's only 2.3k more for you, but you're going to be drawing dead pretty often.