Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Basic Theory - Raising preflop

1. value
2. initiative
3. isolate specific players

all the other reasons are meh
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Here's my few cents, it might've been said here already.

You raise preflop:
1) For value
2) To improve your position
3) Sometimes to limit the field (You don't mind worse hands calling and some hands also play good in multiway pots so this isn't necessarily true)
4) To gain control of the hand
5) To win it right there
6) To cut down your opponent's implied odds
7) To isolate donkeys

On raise sizes:
4 BB + 1 BB/Limper rule comes from very standard math. 4 BB in an unopened pot is a slight overbet compared to a potsize bet (which is call + the pot then - like bet pot button on UB, meaning that PSR would be to 3.5 BB). Adding 1 BB for each limper/poster keeps the ratio around the same, keeping it as 0.5 BB overbet, offering opponents around 2-to-1 odds preflop.

Raising less will usually gives them better odds (implied ones). Harrington's 3 BB rule or 2.5 BB rule is for late stages of tournaments, because the stacks aren't so deep and a smaller raise represents a larger % of your opponents stacks. In deep stack, it's generally better to raise more for value.

Varying raise sizes is essentially pointless on low stakes although +- BB can be good for achieving a specific goal, such as winning one bet from SB in BB vs SB confrontation.

Say that in 6-max game, everyone folds to SB and he completes and you're in BB with a random holding. Raising to 5 BB instead of standard 4 seems to have essentially larger success rate (I might be a bit result oriented on this one, but this far it has proven to be a bit better). Better enough to compensate on the times it will get called. Afterall, you have position in the hand.

Okay, I guess there was some info on my view on raising.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

As long as we are talking about raising - do most people here always open raise? I have been trying limping with SC's early but it doesn't feel right. I'm referring to 6 max games.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as we are talking about raising - do most people here always open raise? I have been trying limping with SC's early but it doesn't feel right. I'm referring to 6 max games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm first in it'll be with a raise and I fold SCs in EP.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM

I started 6-max recently and I generally try not to open limp. If its good enough to limp, then I raise -- when I raise I do a standard 4BB. This gives me the initiative on the hand and usually I can take the pot down with a cbet.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and doesn't NLTAP recommend varying your preflop raise amounts.. ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this standard naturally leads to varying your PF amount. That's kind of the beauty of it. When you raise it to 6bb with 2 limpers and 9bb with 5 limpers... I don't think most observers realize why your bet size is varying. So you have some deception.

[ QUOTE ]
to answer those questions (and possibly a few others) lets work through the reasons why we raise preflop and figure out what an ideal raise might be for each situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think adding other situations where you raise different is when your raise starts giving away information to observant opponents.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with suited connecters in early position isn't so much what happens preflop. Usually it will just get limped through, or even if it doesn't, you can stand a raise. The problem is post-flop, its really tough to play because you can't end the action. They are different than small pairs because they make sets on flops, and suited connecters make draws on flops. Limp small pairs all you want, try to play suited connecters in position.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 AM

A large portion of my total winrate is derived from C-bets.

I'd say that one of the most important reasons to raise preflop is to gain fold equity on the flop.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and doesn't NLTAP recommend varying your preflop raise amounts.. ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad players vary their raise and give away too much information to me.

If you are a beginer you are way better off using a standard.

Of course a good thinking player can disguise their hand if they think someone is paying attention, However this is not a good plan for micro stakes since usually 4 out of your 5 opponnents is only paying attention to their own hand.

Also, you ask if there is a better standard.

Sometimes I just raise 6xbb because theres 1 or 2 players seeing > 80% of the flops. I think the standard is a good starting point but theres certianly room to adjust based on how your table is playing.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Against standard calling stations, there is no reason to vary your pfr sizes, other than finding out how much they'll call.