Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: are TURBOS a CRAPSHOOT

just get really lucky every hand so the blinds wont kill u
Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to avoid Tubros as a rule - I felt the exact same way as the OP. "If you think you're better than average, play a deeper stack tourney and you'll have more opportunity to exploit your edge".

This is true, to a degree, but two things made me change my mind about the Turbos:

1) Even if my ROI is 5% higher in non-turbos, since I can play 50% more Turbos, I can get a higher profit from the lower ROI.

2) I realized that my opponents are over-compensating for the speed of the turbo, making many more mistakes as compared to the regular speed tourneys. I can exploit this to my advantage.

What I've found is that while I have more bubbles / early exits from the Turbos, I have more wins than 4th and 5th place finishes in them. It's truly a "build a big stack or head home" scenario on the bubble, and once I have that big stack, I can exploit the smaller stacks into making mistakes. (and those mistakes are more frequent than the regular speed tourneys).

So I like 'em.

OT

ps - plus, having a baby, I can afford the hour to play a turbo 45... I can't afford the 2+ for a regular speed one...

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what he said...I used to be a anti-turbo guy beut killing the 12 180's...more variance but more poor lay too and skill does play a part
Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM

I think Double Ice just called me a bad player =(.

Please stop coaching others.

I'm pretty sure my it's easy to win/lose 3.5 std. dev.....I have no idea what you consider to be 1 s.d. though....cause I've played many of them and have gone through +/- 3k downswings pretty quickly.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure my it's easy to win/lose 3.5 std. dev.....I have no idea what you consider to be 1 s.d. though....cause I've played many of them and have gone through +/- 3k downswings pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I don't know what I am talking about. Sorry to insult you. Hope you win at the tables soon.

AWice
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1..im probably playing bad too but dam i have gone on some sick runs in turbos..won like 15k in my first 500 and then have been on a 500 game break even/barely losing streak ever since
Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 PM

i, personally, love turbo tournaments. i don't think they turn into a "crapshoot" like most players, it's more of just a different endgame strategy imo. late in a turbo tournament with the blinds increasing or at any point where your stack is > M10 is all about looking for spots to get in a +EV position to double up or accumulate chips. turbo tournament endgame involves lots of shoving in position to pick up chips as the blinds and antes go up, and picking your spots very wisely, more so than a normal holdem tournament.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 PM

don't play turbos, this could happen...

Poker Stars, $11 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 1,330
Hero (BB): 1,345
UTG: 975
UTG+1: 2,555
UTG+2: 2,370
MP1: 1,375
MP2: 1,370
CO: 1,200
BTN: 980

Pre-Flop: (75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
4 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to 150</font>, 2 folds, SB calls 125, <font color="red">Hero raises to 1,345 and is All-In</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls 1,180 and is All-In

Flop: (2,810) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: (2,810) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: (2,810) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 2,810 Pot
SB showed 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a flush, King high) and WON 2,810 (+1,480 NET)
Hero showed A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a pair of Sevens) and LOST (-1,330 NET)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Whoever said people use variance as an excuse for not winning, QFT. Variance is most strongly correlated to winrate. If you played better the variance would go down, period.

Turbos really force you to learn tournament-specific strategies which will help you in normal tourneys. You can't "wait for a better spot" because of the time crunch and stack sizes, so you learn to stick it in anywhere reasonably favorable and gamboooool fearlessly. And that mindset can be an enormous help in regular tournaments.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:50 AM

im not saying that turbos have absolutely no skill to them cuz they do, im just saying your skillz arent valued or even needed that much in ANY turbo tournaments. pretty much u CAN fold ur way to the last final 2 tables... but like ppl said u gotta have a big stack in order to cash 1st. I think there is a lot more shoving in turbos, and as for variance, i dont have a big enough Samplesize for regular tournaments.

true that u can probably win more per hour playing turbos, but anyone know how much more ur ROI is for regular then as opposed to turbos?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 AM

ok, im pretty sure you didnt read any replies...