Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: 24+2: AK down to two tables.

An important point to make here is that once you 3bet PF you're not folding. You're 3betting PF then calling a shove, or shoving the flop if villain just calls (unless it's, you know, AAK, then you can check or something.) You can't 3bet, not like the flop, then decide to fold somehow. If you're going to do that then just shove PF.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An important point to make here is that once you 3bet PF you're not folding. You're 3betting PF then calling a shove, or shoving the flop if villain just calls (unless it's, you know, AAK, then you can check or something.) You can't 3bet, not like the flop, then decide to fold somehow. If you're going to do that then just shove PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is why a shove would of been better. By raising the Villian is calling 60k for 270k. Because I lead like 99% of the flops. And he has the option of what to do.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

I think I would have preferred raising to to 120k pf, then shoving any flop. Obviously your decision to stay with the hand is predetermined by what you do pf. If you 3 bet pf, it's going in on the flop.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. also make it more like like 110,000 preflop making a shove easier.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM

In reality, 110 or 90k should be enough to get a fold out of QT.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And he has the option of what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the go-and-go is never a good play when you don't have position? The way you played this is as far as I can tell is exactly how Bond18 suggests you play it in his (awesome) strategy posts -- you raised preflop such that your shove on the flop wasn't an overbet given the CO's stack (in this case that happened to be a standard re-raise amount).

To be honest, I don't understand the math behind the play very well. You get more value out of crappy hands that won't call a shove, but as you said the pot-committed shove OOP is unfortunate when he flops a hand. I think it's important to the viability of the play is that you're doing it with A-K, A-Q hands that are either going to pair up or be overs on most flops. If you do this with a middle pair, I think you get in some worse spots b/c you almost always need to flop a set to be ahead if he calls and you're drawing to two outs a lot of the time when you're behind. Doing this with a big pair is fine of course.