Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 AM

Default $10 HU SnG\'s - Move Up?

Hello,

I am a new member on this site, and this will be my first post. Nice to meet you all. I have mainly played HU sng's for the past few months, and I have been fairly successful, but I have for some reason stayed at the "LOW" stakes on PokerStars for the mere fact that my bankroll isn't large enough to sustain bigger buyin SnG's. This however is my fault, I tend to cashout too frequently because I am currently too lazy to find a job, so I need some $$'s to pay my bills.

I will paste below my Sharkscope stats for the $10 HU's. I just want some opinions on whether if I should move to the $20 HU's or not.

This might seem like a no brainer because my stats are real good, but for some odd reason I just don't feel confident to play in $20's. Maybe its just mental, because I would be playing for higher stakes, but I need to move up to make a decent amount of money. The $10's have treated me good, but grinding like $2.25 per game isn't going to pay the bills.

Little background on my play: I am a TAG player, I like to see a lot of flops for cheap, make small raises and pound hard when I have hit a monster hand, or know when I am ahead. I make a lot of semi-bluffs and try to pick up all the "orphan" pots that are being checked down.

I just need some advice and suggestions on what I should do to move up in stakes. I would love it if I could multi table HU SnG's, but whenever I do, I tend to play looser and make sudden decisions which bleed my chips away.

Thank you in advance, please feel free to contact me if you ever need any feedback regarding any questions you might have.

Good luck at the tables!

-- MxGucci
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: $10 HU SnG\'s - Move Up?

Very solid stats at the low level games. I would suggest mixing in some 20s since you seem hesitant about taking a shot. Once you're comfortable with the 20s then make them your regular game. With a 23% roi in the 10s you should have no problem with the 20s.

These levels are very similar to one another, the only major difference is mental. If I had you play 100 20s and 100 10s and you didn't know the buyin level I highly doubt you could distinguish between the two.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 AM

My exact thought process sir. If someone sat me down into an $xx.xx HU sng, I probably would sustain a nice win rate. If however I found out its $110 HU sng's, I probably would be a losing player. I seem to tighten up more when I play higher stakes. I also don't go with my reads, fold more because I always think "what if he has a hand this time, I'll be crippled, I need those chips!". I am a pussy what can I say. I just had a really good mentor who really disciplined me while I learned how to play poker. I follow such a tight BR management, I think it does more harm then good, but who knows.

-- MxGucci
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM

Who was your mentor?

I actually remember played 10s and not wanting to move up to the 20s. I would pay attention to like every game I played at the 20s and I started out a little cold. I remember thinking "man I'm never going to be good enough to move up to these 20s." No matter how many people told me that there was no difference I didn't listen. This was probably over a few days or a week period, but in the end I just decided to give turbos another shot. I played some 11s and never looked back.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 AM

hmm..with those stats u could EASILY beat $20's and make much more money, you are losing alot of money by not moving up

$20's arent exactly higher stakes as far as level of play goes, start playing them and dont look back
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 AM

Just a friend of mine who doesn't really post on any forums. He plays HU cash consistently on FTP and PS at the higher levels.

That is exactly how I feel. When I do a $20,I make it seem to make it bigger then it really is, I guess I just have to give it a go for a few days (weeks) and see how I do. No harm in moving down if I happen to fail.

You seem like you know your HU sng's, do you think Turbo's or Regular HU SnG's are better.

-- MxGucci
Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a friend of mine who doesn't really post on any forums. He plays HU cash consistently on FTP and PS at the higher levels.

That is exactly how I feel. When I do a $20,I make it seem to make it bigger then it really is, I guess I just have to give it a go for a few days (weeks) and see how I do. No harm in moving down if I happen to fail.

You seem like you know your HU sng's, do you think Turbo's or Regular HU SnG's are better.

-- MxGucci

[/ QUOTE ]
Turbo imo,

More games/hour and you get more buy-in for the same rake.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 AM

It is pretty clear that you are good enough to beat the $20s.

The real question is if you still have enough in your account that you wouldn't be at major risk of going busto.

If you still have like $500+ in your account you should be moving up IMO.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 AM

Turbos are better for your winrate per hour. However, since it appears your problem with moving up is mental (You definitely have the ability to move up, certainly), the normal speed games are probably best for you to start. You get a little bit more of a feel from your opponent's playstyle and it's lower variance (so there's less of a chance your first few $20s will go badly and you'll psychologically need to move down).

Your stats are impressive. Probably better than I can go at the $10s over that sample. If you get over this psychological roadbump, you'll do very well, as there is almost no difference in level of play.

Take this advice as it is, though. I have the same mental roadblock moving up from the $30s to the $50s. I just can't get over two losses in a row being a triple digit loss, even if it is only 2 games.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:22 AM

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I will be moving up to the $20 level starting this Friday. I will come back to this thread and post how I have done over a 100 sample size.

-- MxGucci