Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Learning to Count Cards?

I'm starting to teach myself to count cards, more as a mental exercise than anything else. Anyone have any success with this? It seems you need to have an almost preternatural focus to keep an accurate count. I guess I'm asking whether this is something that's attainable by the masses, or a skill beyond most people.

Also, what keeps people from taking a bunch of cash from the online sites, where I'm sure you some nerd could fashion counting software relatively easily.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Learning to Count Cards?

"count cards"

it feels like you don't actually know what this means. you're tracking high vs. low cards, not the actual cards. there is almost zero aptitude, it's all practice and drilling. it is not difficult to do but it takes some time to become proficient. also the actual counting is not the most difficult part of beating bj.

"Also, what keeps people from taking a bunch of cash from the online sites, where I'm sure you some nerd could fashion counting software relatively easily. "

online sites shuffle too often for this to work.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"count cards"

it feels like you don't actually know what this means. you're tracking high vs. low cards, not the actual cards. there is almost zero aptitude, it's all practice and drilling. it is not difficult to do but it takes some time to become proficient. also the actual counting is not the most difficult part of beating bj.

"Also, what keeps people from taking a bunch of cash from the online sites, where I'm sure you some nerd could fashion counting software relatively easily. "

online sites shuffle too often for this to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm aware you're tracking the low v. high cards.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM

That seems to be all that you're aware of. Nearly all online sites "shuffle" after every hand. Those that don't deal no more than 25% penetration, which negates any perceived advantage.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Use a simple count like KO or hi lo. Level two counts are not necessary unless you play the vast majority of you time in good single and double deck games and there are precious few of those around.

The actual counting is simple with some practice and you should be able to do it while chatting with other players and appearing to be nothing more than the typical dopey gambler. The trick is not getting tossed out too much and dealing with the related crap. Good luck and good cards.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

I was never very successful at it in the monetary sense (inadequate bankroll and marginal, or worse games), but, with practice, keeping count becomes just about automatic. It's hard for me to play blackjack and not keep a count.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM

How would you recommend learning? Any good books or other resources?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems to be all that you're aware of. Nearly all online sites "shuffle" after every hand. Those that don't deal no more than 25% penetration, which negates any perceived advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the snide remark? I haven't played online before, am I supposed to be born with an innate knowledge of how often Party shuffles their cards at the bj tables?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you recommend learning? Any good books or other resources?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend you start with an unbalanced count like KO or red 7 to start, this is MUCH easier to learn than balanced counts like hi/lo. from all the research I've done any gain you get from a more accurate counting system is minimal and becomes negative very quickly if you make any big mistakes or lose a count. fwiw I still use KO.

For books I would recommend Knockout Blackjack for the KO system, Professional Blackjack for hi/lo. Blackbelt in Blackjack is good also.

for websites check out bj21.com and advantageplayer.com.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Thank you. Just what I was looking for.