Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: WTF ZeeJustin

[ QUOTE ]
the other 5 accounts are safely in the money already?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this post is gay enough to get me to sign up for this [censored]... Zee Justin thought he was gonna be an example/baller like JC... but he lost the hand... hand woulda stuck if he won.. nh Zee... NH

[/ QUOTE ]

gimmick account?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 AM

Obv it was a terrible call on my part, but then again, if he was bluffing, I don't know if I would still be saying that.

The action is slightly wrong.

2 minutes left on the clock, 52 players left (50 cash), last level of the day.

I open the CO to 16k (3k/6k). Button calls. Button is somewhat new to the table, but I can tell he is loose, bluffy, and tries to be tricky.

Flop AA8 2 spades. I check call 30k.

Turn offsuit J. I check. Button says all-in. I have about 170k left, and he has me way covered. There is about 105k in the pot at this point, so his bet is a huge overbet.

I tried to put myself in his shoes, but gave him way too much credit. It's pretty unlikely that I have an ace in this spot, and if I do have an ace, there are only two reasons to play it this way.

1) I am slow playing and plan on check raising the turn.
2) I am worried about being out kicked and am not willing to commit all my chips.

In either case, there is no point to move all-in with a big hand. A normal bet gets all my chips in situation 1, and gets some more chips than an all-in would in situation 2.

Basically, it's extremely unlikely I will ever call this all-in, especially on the bubble, so there is no reason to ever shove there for value.

For the same reasons, I think it's an awesome bluff spot for him. Anyway, I gave him too much credit and way over thought the hand.

I hadn't played with him enough to know that he wasn't thinking on the level I was giving him credit for.

There was also some table talk that factored into my decision, but after replaying the hand in my head, the table talk matches more up with the nuts than with a bluff, which is honestly the main reason I think it was a bad call (even forgetting the fact that he flipped over the nuts).

Thorladen teaches his bridge players something I find interesting. If you think someone is bluffing and you call, and they show the nuts, there's a good chance it wasn't a bad call. They probably intentionally made it look like they were bluffing.

It's also a very basic concept. If someone makes an overbet (between 1.25 and 2.5x pot), put yourself in their shoes. If they expect a call, they probably have a hand. If they don't expect a call, they are probably bluffing.

But yeah, bad call, and v. embarrassing to see the dealer flip it over like that after I mucked the hand. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 AM

Very level-headed ZJ. Good reply. You cannot always make the right decision and even +galfond_EV decisions don't always produce +chip results.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 AM

thanks ZJ
Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 AM

interesting
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Good repsonse ZJ, you are a class-act.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Just a shame Zee didnt catch another 8 on the river then the 4th 8 on the ocean and then we can have 51849503 start 15 threads talking about the injustice of the hand.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Hi ZJ,

Thanks for the honest and interesting reply. I don't agree with the logic that if you call when someone was trying to make it look like they were bluffing, you made a good call. But, I can understand making this call, and it definitely took balls.

I have noticed that you often have said things like, "This is rarely a big hand [when they donkbet big or show some other super-straightforward aggression]," in your blog. I doubt this was the case with this particular gentleman, but I would be concerned about my opponents knowing I think like this in general.