Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Tough Spot, Dealer Forces Me to Call the Floor

2/5 NL game at the LV Venetian
Pot basically gets to the turn I have 98 on a 7652 board Im UTG I have UTG1 and Button to act after me.
I lead $100
UTG1 throws out $180 and rambles something incoherent about his pot in my mind clearly trying to raise (he has done this before trying to raise but not putting out a min raise with other dealers and he was corrected and put in the minimum raise). The dealer says its not a raise and UTG1 pulls back his bet leaving just $100.

I assumed since he put in more than half the raise amount he must raise or just fold leaving the entire $180 of course I assumed the dealer was at fault but his mistake forced me to show the strength of my hand by asking for a ruling. Obviously I wasnt pleased having to do this, it had a happy ending this time but should I have done anything else beyond ask for the floors ruling? What about the future?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Tough Spot, Dealer Forces Me to Call the Floor

[ QUOTE ]
(he has done this before trying to raise but not putting out a min raise with other dealers and he was corrected and put in the minimum raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what he meant to do, based on those previous incidents.

The dealer in the box right now hasn't seen those past hands, so she doesn't have the same perspective that you do. Don't blame her for it. It's not her fault that this guy has been corrected several times, and still won't do it right.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM

If you ask for a ruling I think he has to put in the min raise.
Either way for the info OP provided it looks like opponent is commited, doesn't matter if it is on the turn or river.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assumed since he put in more than half the raise amount he must raise or just fold leaving the entire $180

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with this half-bet rule from limit poker but I'm not sure what the rule is supposed to be at NL.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assumed since he put in more than half the raise amount he must raise or just fold leaving the entire $180

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with this half-bet rule from limit poker but I'm not sure what the rule is supposed to be at NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember it being used on Chris Moneymaker during this year's ME (he wanted to call but put enough for half a min raise. Was forced to min raise, got reraised all in and folded)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(he has done this before trying to raise but not putting out a min raise with other dealers and he was corrected and put in the minimum raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what he meant to do, based on those previous incidents.

The dealer in the box right now hasn't seen those past hands, so she doesn't have the same perspective that you do. Don't blame her for it. It's not her fault that this guy has been corrected several times, and still won't do it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

should we blame the dealer then for not seeing the person put in more then half the bet of a min raise? he should recognize that much no?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM

I would say "I think he was trying to raise" and leave it at that until the hand is over. This allows the dealer to again notice he has more than half the raise in and it doesn't draw a lot of attention to yourself. I sometimes think dealers try to hard to give the person what they want to do and ignore the rules a bit. Saying he's raising would probably change her focus to complete the raise instead of take back the extra chips?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM

as far as I understand, this is a raise. While its true that there is no half bet rule in NL there is intent. This player clearly intended to raise and must put in the final $20 for a minimal raise which is basicly all he can do.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Guy makes the mistake, dealer says thats not enough, he clearly embarrassed tries to pull back the bet.
I said to the dealer as he was pulling his bet back "that was a raise."
Guy to my right says "thats not how the Venetian works."
Dealer (with confidence) says "ok its just a call."
I ask for the floor and the floor states the half of the raise rule and forces him to put in the full raise.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:42 PM

So its settled. Did you win the hand?