Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Live play Tendencies ....

Bad live players tend to value absolute hand strength over relative handstrength. Bad live players almost never 3 bet w/o a hand, but will call huge 3 bets w/ suited broadway cards. If someone opens for 12-15 in a 1-2 game, don't be afraid to push for a ridiculous amount. You will get looked up a lot if you gauged your player right.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The huge preflop raises always amused me- (15-25 dollar preflop raise at a 1/2) I once started consistently making raises to 6 dollars preflop in a Borgata 1/2 game and soon (after about 15 minutes) I had the whole table gearing down their raises. It seemed like they were sheep looking for a leader. Then a wild cannon sat down and started to raise it up big every hand and soon the others went back to their old ways. It was kinda funny to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

A $6 raise in a live 1/2 NL game is widely, and normally correctly, regarded as a pot sweetner. It is a recipe for an 8-handed flop, with a great pot, that will be played by everyone involved like a 2/4 limit game. I would never regard anyone who makes that raise as having a big hand preflop, and if he did have a big hand, I would gloat (silently) when I busted his aces with the 87suited that I called with on the button behind six other players.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Massive overbets on the river get called by bad players.

Bad players always play tricky. They like to bet when they miss, and play cute when they hit. Always.

Value bet them into oblivion with strong hands.

Guys who lose big pots, but still have a couple hundred left, often begin pushing with very marginal hands while tilting off the last of their stack.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The huge preflop raises always amused me- (15-25 dollar preflop raise at a 1/2) I once started consistently making raises to 6 dollars preflop in a Borgata 1/2 game and soon (after about 15 minutes) I had the whole table gearing down their raises. It seemed like they were sheep looking for a leader. Then a wild cannon sat down and started to raise it up big every hand and soon the others went back to their old ways. It was kinda funny to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

A $6 raise in a live 1/2 NL game is widely, and normally correctly, regarded as a pot sweetner. It is a recipe for an 8-handed flop, with a great pot, that will be played by everyone involved like a 2/4 limit game. I would never regard anyone who makes that raise as having a big hand preflop, and if he did have a big hand, I would gloat (silently) when I busted his aces with the 87suited that I called with on the button behind six other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree, and I wasnt playing any monsters, and the table went back in no time- it was just fun to try.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bad players always play tricky. They like to bet when they miss, and play cute when they hit. Always.

Guys who lose big pots, but still have a couple hundred left, often begin pushing with very marginal hands while tilting off the last of their stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with that last one. Everyone thinks you are tilting off money, however the last three times I have seen this spot the tabled hand was AA, AA, KK.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with that last one. Everyone thinks you are tilting off money, however the last three times I have seen this spot the tabled hand was AA, AA, KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the player, Ive seen some guys go all in with 120 bucks on AT after losing big pots.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll see players raising ATo preflop UTG+1 all the time. And you'll see them get 6 calls and the last 3 callers will all say the same thing: "Now I have to call because of pot odds."

[/ QUOTE ]
This one makes me laugh a little on the inside everytime they do it. 92o on the BB, 5 callers to the UTG raise: "pot odds, call!!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you don't like taking flops with the worst players in the world?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll see players raising ATo preflop UTG+1 all the time. And you'll see them get 6 calls and the last 3 callers will all say the same thing: "Now I have to call because of pot odds."

[/ QUOTE ]
This one makes me laugh a little on the inside everytime they do it. 92o on the BB, 5 callers to the UTG raise: "pot odds, call!!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you don't like taking flops with the worst players in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not with 92o OOP. I'm not that good... yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM

I took my son (online player) to play in Florida and he was complaining about the raises. Of course you have to buy in short, he would see a raise of 15 and 3-4 callers with a small or medium pocket pair and fold "because he didn't have set odds" with only 80 behind.

I am still laughing.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree, and I wasnt playing any monsters, and the table went back in no time- it was just fun to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand... Actually, this type of play lends itself well to a steal in position. Let's say a few people limp, then the CO raises to $6 or $8, and you're on the Button or in one of the blinds. If you have the right table image, you can re-raise to $25 or $30 here and take down the pot pre-flop. If you get the hands heads-up with the "raiser," a CB on the flop is also usually enough to end the hand and is +EV.

I do think that your table image is key to this move, however, and you have to make sure that the raiser is not a calling station. Also, I won't try this with ATC in this situation, but my re-raising range is a lot wider than it would be if I were staring at $12 to $20 raise in front of me.